Thread: Competition/Heavy Duty Recoil Lug on Savage Axis Action

Competition/Heavy Duty Recoil Lug on Savage Axis Action

Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a 243 Ackley Improved off of a Savage Axis Action. I am going to send the action in to SSS to have it Timed and Trued and part of this service is he mills the front of the receiver to accept a standard recoil leg. I am going to replace the axis recoil lug with a SSS competition recoil lug, which is .240" thick. I sold the stock of my axis (along with the recoil lug) before I had a chance to measure it, but from what I have read, it sounds like the axis recoil lug is around .190" thick, so there is a difference of .050". I plan to get a Boyd's axis stock for this build. My questions is: Will I have to do much in-letting to get the larger recoil lug to fit the Boyd's stock or is there enough wiggle room that it will slide right in? It won't be a huge deal to have to remove some material, but was just wondering what to expect. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Lug is close to outside diameter of receiver 1.350'', tapers to 1.120'' width at bottom, receiver to bottom of lug 0.425". Stock will need opened up to fit lug. Just make it over size & bed with bedding material. I would bed the action while also.