So in a nutshell here is the story, I have had an Axis action from a 22-250 for quite a while. The original plan was to use it as a donor for a 6.5 Creedmore build. Unfortunately, finances didn’t pan out the way I had hoped and had set to the side. Then about 2 months ago a friend with 65 acres right outside of Shelbyville KY, let me know that I was welcome to come hunt on their property for all manner of Varmints including Coyotes, Raccoons, Fox and Bobcat and whatever else. Needless to say, I was pleased. I have a Savage 93R17 HMR which I am very happy with and would have been fine , but truth is I just wanted something with some more zing to it and that I had built myself.

Enter the Varmint Cartridges. Now I don’t have a ton experience with these, and there were quite a few that I was interested in including a 220 Swift, which I found out needed a long action, .223, 22-250ai, 204 Ruger, 222 Remington and a few others. Hadn’t narrowed it down to anything specific but while doing all this research and trying to decide on which one I wanted, ran across a pretty good deal on a barrel on Ebay for a .204 Ruger. So that was easy!!

The Build:

Primary Purpose:
Varmint hunting specifically Coyote, Bobcat, Fox , etc..up to and around 200-250yds. Also, would be used for some paper punching practice at the range out to about 350yds.

Rifle System Components:

Stock: Boyd's Pro-Varmint Custom 12 ¾ LOP
Barrel: 24’’ Stainless Steel Fluted 1:9 Twist threaded 1/2x28 tpi
Muzzle Break: Ross Schuler
Barrel Nut: Stainless Standard Savage
Trigger: Rifle Basix SAV-1
Trigger Guard: Stainless Steel Boyd’s
Action: Stainless Steel Savage Axis (previously a .22-250)
Bolt Handle: Stainless Steel Glades Armory with crosshatch pattern. The one made for the Axis with primary extraction.
Scope Mounts: SS DNZ Hunt Reaper
Scope: BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus Glass Etched Mil-Dot Reticle Matte

Costs including taxes and shipping.

Original Axis: $285.14
Rebate: $50.00
Sold Stock: $35.00
Sold Barrel: $70.00

204 Ruger Parts:

Axis Action: $130.14
Barrel: $162.99
Muzzle Break: $45.00
Boyd's Pro-Varmint Stock: $154.00
Glades Armory Bolt Handle: $70.99
Scope Mounts: $73.82