Thread: Triggers Axis

308shtr

Triggers Axis

Any trigger recommendations for my Axis 308, the factory on is pretty rough? Any feedback would be Appreciated thanks in advance!

Fortunately, you've joined the Axis crowd when there are a number of options out there!

The first and most common option is to trim some amount (usually 0.5 to 1.5 coils) from the trigger spring. It won't address grittiness, but it may make it more manageable. An alternative is to replace the factory trigger spring with a lighter spring from a hardware store and a 10-24 screw to hold it in place. This does double duty by offering an adjustable overtravel stop.

To clean up the break by removing creep, my preference is to shim the trigger under the sear. I made a video on my method. It's a reasonably safe and accessible way of refining the trigger without dishing out money for an aftermarket part.

Speaking of aftermarket parts, both Timney and Rifle Basix make replacement triggers for the Axis. I have both and have nothing bad to say about either. If you want a recommendation, I'd go with the Rifle Basix Sav-1. I like the overtravel stop and lower price.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 10-11-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Incorrect RB model name. Thanks, Rosco!

Basic Member
    +1 to Dr. Thunder, but I am pretty sure he meant the Rifle Basix Sav-1 not the Sav-2. The Sav-2 doesn't work the Axis as far as I know.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Sav-1 is right. I don't know why I said Sav-2.

308shtr
    Very nice! Thank yall for the input i will look in to some of the options listed and get back to yall when i make my decision.

rfd12fv
    put a timney on my axis hb .308, love it.

Basic Member
    Also polishing the contact points with a carpenter pencil makes for a smoother pull. No risk of damaging the hardened surfaces.

308shtr
    Thanks guys i was looking at the timney trigger it looks like a good purches but so does the Basix Sav-1 not sure though, any more thoughts from on other about these 2 trigger id appreciate a little more feedback! Thanks in advance.

rfd12fv
    either will do just fine. the basix is a bit cheaper.

Basic Member
    I did the 10-24 screw over travel stop/ballpoint pen spring/sear polish trick on my oldest Axis. result: 1LB 2 OZ crisp letoff, .020" total trigger travel, no perceptible creep. The most difficult part was turning the threads off the 10-24 allen head cap screw. Could be done with a drill press and a file...

Team Savage
    i have NEVER done any trigger work but have read about it in many forum threads,,,,,,, i have some info on modifying the trigger of thompson center venture,,,, if i want to polish parts of the trigger , where do i polish ????
    thanx for the info

Basic Member
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/conttrig.htm[url]]http://www.bellmtcs.com/FAQ/conttrig.htmhttp:// Greybeard outdoor has a very informative sub forum devoted to TC contenders. check it out.

Paul

Upon second read, I believe you are looking for info relating to Axis triggers, sorry.
    Scan the archives of the Axis forum, lots to learn.

Paul
    Last edited by red caddy 51; 10-17-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: miss read the intent

I bought a replacement trigger spring from eBay, around $15.00 it was a drop in , it gauged to 3.25lb it worked for me, try it. And save your OEM spring in case you need to warranty the gun.

rfd12fv
    3.25# trigger? yeesh, that's Heavy! i'd want ounces, not pounds, just fer starters!

ya I guess that sounds heavy but out of the box I had a 7# pull, I like the feel and I have no issue with the safety, I suppose for about $100 you can get down to under a 1#,

rfd12fv
    to each their own, but 3-1/4# is waaaay too heavy a pull for most shooters and consistent good accuracy.

lots depends on whether a firearm is for hunting, plinking or target.

in comparison, the double set triggers on my target rolling blocks will let off crisply at 5ozs.

my axis .308 target is heavy at about 1# and the new axis .223 varmint will be set at less than a pound.

ymmv.

You can get a very light trigger with shims, a set screw, and a lightweight spring from the hardware store. However, I find that 2# is the minimum I can get and still have the rifle be bump safe along all axes, and that's true for my Timney and Rifle Basix triggers too.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 10-23-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Didn't see the above post.

rfd12fv
    yes, the geometry of the axis ignition mechanics is limiting as to how low any trigger - stock, modded or after market - can be set, with regards for allowing the mechanical safety switch to reliably function.

for my intended usage, i adjust an axis trigger to be safe for both the bump and bolt slam, but to bypass and not to allow the mechanical safety to function.

this can get an axis trigger down to the ounces of let off.

ymmv.

I'd be very interested in seeing a factory Axis trigger down in the ounces, and still be bump/bolt slam safe. I stoned the mating surfaces, lightened the spring, and even played with the angle of engagement a little on the sear, and the lightest I could get it and still not fall on a really hard bolt slam was about and pound and a half.

rfd12fv
    i have no doubt that a competent gunsmith could rework/tweak a factory axis trigger down to ounces and still allow the mechanical safety to function.

rfd12fv
    fwiw i have a like-new timney axis trigger for sale at our classifieds, less than 1/2 the cost of a new one.

Basic Member
    RFD,
    All I'm going to say is that I am a competent gunsmith. I am also a responsible one.
    It has been my experience that most customers that come to me, asking for a trigger measured in ounces, have not nearly enough skills to safely manage one, hunting or bench. (Yes, I know, the BPCR guys all know how to shoot set triggers, and I prefer that they do their own trigger work/adjustment)

All my trigger work is pointed towards, little or no creep, crisp letoff and minimal over travel. Many people , when handed a proper, safe, well tuned trigger with a pull weight around 3 Lbs. will guess that it is under a pound and need several attempts to master it, especially offhand. Oh sure, there are shooters out there with phenomenal trigger control and great skill, I'm just saying I don't see very many of them in my shop.

The guys that just have to have a non set, 4 OZ trigger on their Eargersplitten loudenboomer are gonna get it from someone else, same for the 3 OZ SA revolver pull kiddo's. Just not my cup of tea.

This stance hasn't hurt my business/profession, in my 30 years, and likely wont.

Paul

rfd12fv
    i hear ya and do agree, paul.

as an nra rso i've seen too many shooters on the line who simply can't control that uber light trigger job, no matter who did the work or why. there's a reason why most production guns have "hunting weight" trigger pulls.

with regards to double set triggers, they have their special place and reasoning, and why they're found on certain 19th and 18th century rifles. for most of us into bpcr (real black powder, not the subs or white stuff), dst's can usually, but not always, make a difference at the long range distances we need to shoot with iron peep sights.

imho, having a single sear trigger down to single ounce digits is just not for me and usually becomes a detriment to good consistent accuracy for most shooters.

Basic Member
    3 1/4 seems like a safe place to be. Ours are right about there for all around use. Taking the play out and creep makes that seem effortless.

russ2far
    Hi, second post so be nice. Hope I can use that line until post 100, haha.

I bought the axis replacement trigger spring off ebay, diamond polished the contact surfaces on my new axis 223, (have had it a month now) to be honest after that work there isn't much difference between it and the from the factory model 21 cooper trigger, maybe a little more creep but you have to squeeze the trigger so slow to notice that it makes shooting it awkward. I have a model m77 Ruger that was build by Dave Tooley as a long range completion rifle, I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I am guessing the trigger is less then a pound easy. I have drop and slam tested it, it hasn't trip the trigger doing those. I have use it prairie dog hunting from time to time, brushed against my shirt/arm, palm of my hand twisting around in the seat for a shot out the window, boom went off. It is just to light for me to feel safe shooting it anywhere except the range, I mean you think about squeezing the trigger and boom, but man does it's papers get a lot of looks. A crisp break, that's what I like in a trigger. You can debate how many oz, lb, is good for what situation all you want, I want it to break in a short and smooth squeeze. I have squeezed triggers that were 5.5lb, according to the owner, and said that's a nice trigger, and on the other end I have squeezed 1lb triggers, again according to owner, and thought to myself that thing is crap, I just kept squeezing and squeezing, and is there sand in this dang thing. Just my thoughts.