Thread: Light weight 243 win/338-06 switch barrel build with Shilen Action.

Light weight 243 win/338-06 switch barrel build with Shilen Action.

I have seen some people discussing the Shilen actions that use the savage barrel threads so I though I would post up my build.

Shilen DGR long action
    24" Mcgowen 243 sporter
    22" Fluted pac-nor 338-06 sporter
    Bell and Carlson Alaskan II stock
    Quick Clip bottom metal and magazine
    Talley one piece rings.
    Luepold VX-III CDS in 4.5-14 x 40
    Jewell Trigger

So this build started out to be a light weight gun that I could use during Iowa's special late season doe hunt where rifles were permitted in the lower 2 tiers of counties. I came across a great deal in on the 338-06 barrel and got everything set up and shooting good. Well about the next week the hunting regs came out for 2014 and low and behold they cancelled the special season so not rifle hunting dear for me. I decided to pull the pacnor and put it in the safe and picked up a Mcgowen 243 barrel to turn this into a nice to carry light weight coyote/general purpose rife. The scoped rifle weighs in right at 8lbs making it nice to pack around. Shooting 87 vmax i have worked up a load with H4350 that is given me ragged holes at 100 yards right around that .5 MOA give or a take a little depending on the group.

I love the Shilen action and its a nice piece of work and the price is not to bad when all is considered. Fluted Bolt, threaded bolt handle, no need to time and true and all that fun stuff that i spent money on my savage action if you look at my 204 ruger build post. The availability of stocks for the 700 foot print is also far superior to finding savage stocks. I think a lot has to do with a 700 is a 700 there is no this bolt spacing or that bolt spacing. Imo best of both worlds here in that you can use the barrel nut and get great deals on barrels and make a switch barrel as i did and still use all the 700 stocks and triggers. Well on to the fun part pictures.

Team Savage
    very nice..how do you like the 338-06..build one for elk hunting 2 years ago, great round

Basic Member
    Pretty! I'm assuming that the Shilen action is very smooth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pighunter284 View Post
    very nice..how do you like the 338-06..build one for elk hunting 2 years ago, great round

All i have done is load work up a bit with it. When they canceled the doe season it came off and became a 243. Im keeping all the 338-06 parts and loading supplies for some day when ill be able to use it. Maybe an out of state hog hunt or something. The recoil was not back and i was getting an easy .75 moa out of it. From everything i have read about the round it should be good on game also. Cant wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    Pretty! I'm assuming that the Shilen action is very smooth as well.
    Yes the action is great and feeds really smooth. Sometimes I have to double check as i dont "feel" it pick up the next round. If you are like me and cant leave a pefectly good savage action along and have to change bolt handles, trigger, flute bolts and time and true everything i think you are money ahead to pick up a shilen action. It has it all done and doesnt really loose value when you resale.