Thread: New 280 AI project

New 280 AI project

I'm open to most any long action donor gun in the current Savage catalog. In order to make this as simple as possible, I'd like to simply swap out a magnum contour, or medium varmint barrel. So, 30 06, 270 & 25 06 make the most sense. I like the stainless finish but it's not a requirement. If I have any desire to upgrade to an aftermarket stock I know I begin to run into big problems. So, with that restriction, how good is the accustock? Word on the street is that it's just OK. Will I be able to widen an accustock barrel channel?

Thoughts or guidance appreciated

Should be able to widen it just fine but it gets pretty thin. Accustock or not the fore end will flex quite a bit so you need to hog out the channel a little more than you normally would. I would definitely recommend an aftermarket stock and Boyds should have you covered.

For my 280AI, I started with a 110 in 30.06. I got a Brux 26" varmint contour from Sinarms. Mounted it all in a Boyds pro varmint stock.

What I would do is stop and change directions. I would just buy a new or used receiver off here and order a new barrel and nut with recoil lug. Get the boyds pro varmint which is cheap price wise and sav-2 trigger and egw rail to mount your scope on. Then get a good scope with burris signature zee rings and your done without spending a lot for a new donor rifle.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

BarrelNuts
    +1 with jonbearman

You won't necessarily run into problems with aftermarket stocks unless you get a bottom bolt release long action... those seem to be the hardest to find. You can usually find a model 110 on armslist or other online auction or local pawn shops for $300; that will provide the donor action on the cheaps. You can go with a litany of barrel options; but I will say from personal experience that Jim at NSS (one of the vendors listed here) is a wealth of information and if you tell him how you plan on using the rifle he can help pick the right tube; he stocks both shilen and criterion and all the tools you need to do the swap and fair prices. I don't want to sound like an advertiser for them; I was just extremely pleased with their service. My .260 build with B&C stock, shilen sel. match barrel, EGW base, new nut/lug, donor rifle, duracoat, AND tools came in just over $1,100 (without glass).

Basic Member
    I would also recommend you get a used action. I was able to get one for $170 (after selling the scope and barrel) off of a FB group from a guy who was wanting to dump one. My Pro varmint stock should ship any day now...it feels like Christmas!

Basic Member
    BTW, I'd look for a used 110, 111, etc. with a top bolt release. Also, McGowen has a stainless prefit on their outlet that you'd have in a week. That's what I'd order. My current build is a McGowen, but in 7-08.

You might consider x-caliber barrels as they shoot really well. I have a friend who shoots them and is more than happy with them and apache gun works use's their blanks.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

The project is mostly order now, post components are due to roll in around August. Thanks jonbearman I have an x caliber barrel on order. And Ross Schuler is making my brake. Can't wait!
    my biggest problem now is converting the bolt from a 300wm to the 280 AI. I'd like to get a complete bolt if only I could find one. If not I have to learn how to re work the one that comes with the gun. I know I'll need a new bolt head but I believe there are several other parts I'll need too. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Crossfire, pm sent