Thread: Model 99 Scope Elevation Issue

Rockrivr1

Model 99 Scope Elevation Issue

Due to my father's passing recently I've taken possession of of his old Model 99 in 300 Savage with a nice vintage Weaver K4 scope on it. He's taken many deer and a few black bear with this rifle. Over the years he did mention an issue with the scope. He stated that there wasn't enough elevation adjustment on the scope for him to get it zeroed properly. It would always shoot high and the adjustment was bottomed out. He'd just adjust his aim and become rather good at it over the years.

Now that it's in my possession I want to fix this. One trip to the range and yep, he was right. Adjustment bottomed out and she shoots high, though fairly tight groups. It currently has a two piece base, which looks to be the proper #14 and #19 mounts. The rings are Sears branded and everything is very tight.

So what are my options here? I was thinking of changing out the forward ring to a higher one, but am not sure if that will throw off the scope in the rear ring. I don't want to do anything to damage the scope.

Any advice is appreciated!

A higher front ring will not shoot lower. My advice is get some newer rings lower than what is on the gun now. Also perhaps try another scope and see if its the mounts that are to high. My bet is something happened to your scope, and it probably be easier to replace it than fix it. Optics sometimes wear out/break and replacing it is normal. With detachable rings you can always keep it as a memento and hunt with something a bit less dated.

Rockrivr1
    Quote Originally Posted by fireguymike133 View Post
    A higher front ring will not shoot lower. My advice is get some newer rings lower than what is on the gun now. Also perhaps try another scope and see if its the mounts that are to high. My bet is something happened to your scope, and it probably be easier to replace it than fix it. Optics sometimes wear out/break and replacing it is normal. With detachable rings you can always keep it as a memento and hunt with something a bit less dated.
    Thanks for the response. You're right and if I had thought about it more I would have come to that eventually. Though I have to say the scope seems to be holding zero properly in the 1-2 MOA range. At least at POI when holding on the X rings. She groups in the upper 7 ring. If I aim at the lower 7 ring, I'm pretty much on the X. Need a good 3-4 MOA of down elevation adjustment at this point. I'm thinking of trying the Burris Signature Zee Rings with a set of offset rings. My only concern is they are medium height, which might cause worse cheek weld.