Thread: Help for information on gun

danxrs05

Help for information on gun

Hey everyone.

I am new here so I hope I am in the right section! Forgive me if I'm not! lol
    My father in law gave me a rifle/shotgun yesterday and I could not be more stoked. I love old things and especially the ones with a sentimental value (over money).

He gave me an old savage gun. It has two barrels (300 Savage and 410) that are interchangeable. Everything is original down to the case. It needs some love and care I'll admit so I'll bring it to my gunsmith to have it inspected, cleaned and probably restore the metal of the barrels and action.

Anyway, I need some help since I don't know a lot about savage guns. It says on the action: Savage 1893 Model.
    On the barrels it says (Both of them so they seem to be original):

Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp. Utica, N.Y. U.S.A.
    JULY.25.1893.OCT.3.1899.SEPT.10.1907.MAY.25.1909.J UNE.1.1909

What I also like is the fact that the wooden handle is original. The serial number engraved in it matches the one on the action.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Nice score! It's a Model 1899, which is what the stamp on the top of the receiver should read.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Lee Davis
    What a nice find! It is a Model 99G, manufactured between 1922 and 1926 (from the barrel markings). Looks like a great candidate for a restoration. To determine the actual date of manufacture, see this site:
    http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm You can enter the serial number and it will tell you the year. Lee

danxrs05
    Thanks guys. Found out it's actually a 99B made in 1925.
    Yes there is a little rust on the outside but inside the barrel, it's MINT condition. No rust, no streaks, etc.

I'm very happy.

I am bringing it to my gunsmith this summer to have it repaired, inspected and the barrels refinished.
    Restored.

Lee Davis
    I think it is a 'G' model, because it has the pistol grip stock. The B's had a straight stock and rifle butt. Also, the cased rifle with 410 barrel was only available in F, G and K models.

danxrs05
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
    I think it is a 'G' model, because it has the pistol grip stock. The B's had a straight stock and rifle butt. Also, the cased rifle with 410 barrel was only available in F, G and K models.
    I think you are right! I guess my friend did a mistake while going through his books :)
    Happens.
    I am as equally happy anyway :)

Lee Davis
    I am afraid it is the LEAST desirable Savage that you can find. I will give you $200 for it, and I am being generous. Please keep me in mind when you find these junk '99s. I also have some land in Belize that I will trade for lousy vintage rifles,,,, Lee

Basic Member
    Very nice score! Do NOT try to restore this rifle unless it is in a "not safe to fire" condition. Use a little oil and cloth patches to clean it up and gently lube it. Then leave it in original condition! You have a fairly rare combo there, if you overdo the cleaning up, you can destroy a great deal of value. Should you wish to sell it, you will have no problem with that package.