Thread: Which Model 99 Do I Have?

Which Model 99 Do I Have?

I have been reading about the various model 99's in the posts in this section and often see them listed as 99B, 99F, 99EG etcetera. Having just inherited a model 99 from my father, naturally I immediately popped the case and took the gun out to examine it. I know that Dad bought it in 1956 and the "17H" stamped on the underside just in front of the lever seems to confirm this. The stamp on the barrel identifies it as .308 Win. and directly behind this on the chamber it is stamped "Savage" "Model 99" "S". The SN is the 909 thousand range . The only other info I have is that it originally had a Monte Carlo stock (cut down by Grampa in the 60's), it has a copper colored front sight and three tiered rear sight (top of sight, drops one level and 1/2 circle in the middle).
    Would someone be kind enough to direct me to some reading so that I can become better versed about these great rifles. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    Here's a web site with a lot of information, I also have I book I got on e bay, "The 99" by D.P. Murray.
    http://www.savage99.com/index.php
    The fact that you say it had a Monte Carlo stock has me a bit confused, 'cause as far as I can tell, they didn't have an MC stock until 1960. The "S" code puts it at a 1965 manufacture date. The 99E came with an MC stock and was first made in 1960.
    Pictures would help, also barrel length, type of butt plate, magazine counter, etc!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Savage!!

It would be made in 1956 with an H date code.

Could be one of three models, an F, EG or an R.

Pretty uncommon caliber to find it in whichever model it is. Should have never had a Monte Carlo stock on it.

If it's an F it will be marked 99F on the right hand side of the barrel. An EG will have a schnobel tipped forearm and an R will have a semi beavertailed forearm. AN EG or an R will bring a good premium if your going to sell it.
    Savage- "never say never".