Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder Scale

Do people not like digital scales because they are digital, or are there some good models that are just as good as beam scales.

I’m curious, cause I ordered an RCBS Range Master 750, but won’t have it till later this week. It works on 110 v or a 9v battery. I chose it from a lengthy discussion in another forum at $119 over a $53 scale I was going to get.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Here is a scale for you....Sartorius GD503

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Here is a scale for you....Sartorius GD503
    Please send me a check in the mail.

Unfortunately, the Sartorius GD503 has been discontinued and no longer in production as of May 2013. The Sartorius jewelry line was phased-out and at this time there is no direct replacement.
    Gary...Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo

Basic Member
    Somethings fishy. You have an omega trickler, a sartorius scale and a lee powder measure...... Hmmm just kiddin. Nice setup!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You made the right decision.

Most of you fellas having problems with your beam scales probably bought one used, unknowingly damaged or you left the scale assembled for long periods of time. The fulcrum gets damaged making zero and repeatability impossible to maintain. You can make huge improvements to a damaged fulcrum with a fine (diamond) hone. If your having problems get out a magnifying glass and look at the contact edges of the fulcrum. You don't want to remove very much metal and it is really an art. Do yourself a favor if you don't already, Disassemble your scale when your done and reassemble it carefully each time you use it..
    i agree...i took a small plastic storage box lined it with foam and cut a hole for the scale to rest in so that it is secure and covered/protected from dust and the only time its assembled is when throwing charges then it goes back in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i agree...i took a small plastic storage box lined it with foam and cut a hole for the scale to rest in so that it is secure and covered/protected from dust and the only time its assembled is when throwing charges then it goes back in the box.
    How about some pics ?

LongRange
    ill post a couple tonight.

Basic Member
    I use a plastic bag Maw got some pillow covers in. Its low tech but works. ( and cheap!) As far was unloading the beam the old Lyman D7s had a "lifter", I just slip a piece of foam between the beam and bearing support towers. I don't disassemble them between use.

This is the new old stock "Made Here" 505 I recently tuned, its 100% dead on from zero to 500grs using my check weights verified-recalibrated by the tech in our ISO lab before I got lazy....errrr....retired.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I use a plastic bag Maw got some pillow covers in. Its low tech but works. ( and cheap!) As far was unloading the beam the old Lyman D7s had a "lifter", I just slip a piece of foam between the beam and bearing support towers. I don't disassemble them between use.

This is the new old stock "Made Here" 505 I recently tuned, its 100% dead on from zero to 500grs using my check weights verified-recalibrated by the tech in our ISO lab before I got lazy....errrr....retired.

Bill
    lol that will work to...and nice scale!!

LongRange
    the cheap scale box...

and this is where it rides when loading....it puts my scale just about eye level....

The KISS rule works for me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post pics.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    The KISS rule works for me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and post pics.
    a little tip from Scott...when you set your scale up each time before you put the pan on take your finger and push down on the pan rest a couple of times so that the beam weights settle into place then set your pan on and zero the scale then when you set your weights to throw charges do the same thing as above. i was having issues with holding exact zero and called scott he said send it back and he would fix it...he called 3 days latter and said there was nothing wrong with the scale that he had run it with all his check weights from 1g up to 450gs and asked me if i was doing the above...i wasnt and havent had an issue since.

How many of you use a precision weight instead of the weight that comes with the scale? Does it make that much of a difference?
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_Erudite View Post
    How many of you use a precision weight instead of the weight that comes with the scale? Does it make that much of a difference?
    they make check weights that are much cheaper than the weight you posted...the thing with weighing powder is that you will most likely never notice the difference in a few kernels of powder from shot to shot as so many other things play into it.

Basic Member
    a little tip from Scott...when you set your scale up each time before you put the pan on take your finger and push down on the pan rest a couple of times so that the beam weights settle into place then set your pan on and zero the scale then when you set your weights to throw charges do the same thing as above.
    Two udder sings.....

Gently press down on the 5-10 grain poise (which ever the scale has) to make sure it seated in the notch in the beam.

Second, when moving it lift it over the notches instead of bumping it over them especially if its an aluminum beam. Wear or knock the top off any one or more of them and any sense of accuracy and linearity will be out the window.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Good info guys. I'll try it when I get it.

Good information here. I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Good information here. I love this site, I ALWAYS learn something!
    Earlier I mentioned lifting the poises instead of bouncing them over the notches especially if its an aluminum beam. This is or can be the result.

Knock or wear off the tops of the notches and any sense of accuracy and linearity will be impossible. That paper weight was from an old well used and abused Lyman D5 I bought at a yard sale for five bucks, he was asking 10! The only way to compensate for that type of damage is by zeroing a scale at the intended target weight.
    For example, if the target weight is 45.5 grs, place the combination of check weights in the pan equal to 45.5, set the poises to 45.5 then zero the scale at that weight. Forget the unweighted zero altogether.

In fact its not a bad procedure to follow to check-verify a beam's accuracy, new, used or abused at a given target weight setting.

Bill

Basic Member
    I used an RCBS 5-0-2 scale for years. It wasn't until this recently I noticed it wasn't holding zero anymore (ever?), it was taking forever to load large batches, and I hated having to build the bench around reading it at eye level.

I did my homework on the lyman, hornady, and rcbs digital dispensers. I went with the Lyman Gen 6 as it seemed to have the least frills and some common sense features built in. Mainly the auto dispense. I've loaded about 800-900 rounds with no issues to date.

It drops powders like Varget and 4064 to 1/10th of a grain with the "restrictor" installed. With a little tap on the dispensing tube it will drop a kernel at a time and I can quickly achieve the perfect charge. (I tried a ball powder (2460) and it was awful because it sprayed the stuff everywhere). Once a charge is dropped, there is enough time to seat a bullet before the next charge is ready.

That said, talk is cheap and the proof is in the pudding ie the target and chronograph. I haven't had the opportunity to compare digital vs beam scale velocities but will very soon. Accuracy has stayed the same, maybe a slight improvement in that I'm seeing fewer fliers.

I'm going to do a full write-up on this I think.

Bill

Team Savage
    Interesting thread. I use my RCBS balance scale on a Harbor Freight work bench that is pretty level, but the top is not absolutely flat. I have to zero the scale whenever it's moved slightly. As it is, it's within .1 grain from my Hornady digital scale. I never keep it covered and don't disassemble after use. I can see the utility in that.

Basic Member
    He only does scales with the main beam weight and the thin weight on the end toward the pan....rcbs old laymans ect
    1-661-346-1199 leave a message and he'll get back to you
    I am sending my RCBS 10-10 to him Monday $85 shipping back included.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12