Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Scale

Powder Scale

I'm currently using a Hornady beam scale but was considering buying a digital scale.

Stay with what I'm using or upgrade to a digital scale. If upgrade to digital which one is accurate and more important, consistent ?

Depends on how much you load and what you want. Electronic scales are great, they have there purpose and come with a few quirks. So do beam scales. My beam scales are used during load development and are tricked out by Scott Parker. The RCBS scale is the best value and the combo chargemaster is very nice. I use it to throw my hunting and competition rounds checking the comp stuff on the beam. That might be overkill but it is how many of us do it around here and it speeds things up. Some guys have professional scales that cost close to 1000 bucks. These guys are in the 1000 yd F/ open class.

What kind of quirks are you referring to with digital ?

More with the combo's but with respect to the scales, many of the cheaper priced ones you deal with drift, hunting, accuracy and resolution.

JTCrl
    My experience with digital scales (3 of them) is that they don't work well with a powder trickler. They seem to have trouble recognizing small increments being added slowly. I still use a beam scale for that.

They work well for weighing charges thrown from a powder measure.

I like to add powder myself and do not want an autotrickler.

I can handle it being off .2 of a grain, but drifting .3-.6 does not work for me.

I also prefer 110v over battery.

PS: Main reason for wanting to go digital is because I can stand over it and read the display quickly.

Basic Member
    I use an RCBS beam I set my loads using Lyman Shooter's Weight Check Set. I don't bother with the graduated marks on the scale I just put the weights in that add to my load and set the scale from there. I have a Lyman 1200 and an RCBS digital neither one seems to hold zero or reacts quickly to power trickled in.

LongRange
    I have a dillon and like it...i dont use it for powder but i have checked it against my Scott Parker beam several times and the dillon reads .1 less everytime...40g reads 39.9 45.5g reasds 45.4 ect....it dont drift unless the air is moving.

Basic Member
    I can't count the number of times over the years that I've had to re-do some work in progress because a digital scale went off calibration. In my experience, the biggest flaw with digital is that you never know when it's accurate. Even if you start with calibration, as the electronics warm, it drifts, sometimes substantially. And if a load cell goes quietly T.U. you can be WAY off. That's why i like beam scales. Nothing works as consistently as GRAVITY against a mechanical device. I own several Ohaus triple beam scales for gram weights, but for loading I use a Hornaday beam scale mounted in a platform with felt pads for feet. It resolves down to a couple of granules. My friend has the full feature Hornaday electronic with autotrickler, but he always backs up with an RCBS beam scale to double check, and he doesn't load for accuracy, just fun.

Basic Member
    Does Scott Parker refurbish beam scales? If so, how can I get in touch with him?

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I can't count the number of times over the years that I've had to re-do some work in progress because a digital scale went off calibration. In my experience, the biggest flaw with digital is that you never know when it's accurate. Even if you start with calibration, as the electronics warm, it drifts, sometimes substantially. And if a load cell goes quietly T.U. you can be WAY off. That's why i like beam scales. Nothing works as consistently as GRAVITY against a mechanical device. I own several Ohaus triple beam scales for gram weights, but for loading I use a Hornaday beam scale mounted in a platform with felt pads for feet. It resolves down to a couple of granules. My friend has the full feature Hornaday electronic with autotrickler, but he always backs up with an RCBS beam scale to double check, and he doesn't load for accuracy, just fun.
    I agree.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    Does Scott Parker refurbish beam scales? If so, how can I get in touch with him?
    He only does scales with the main beam weight and the thin weight on the end toward the pan....rcbs old laymans ect
    1-661-346-1199 leave a message and he'll get back to you

Enlighten me....who is Scott Parker ?

TEXAS10,

Can you post some pics of your mounted system and explain why ?

I've used a beam, a Frankford Aresenal digital, and now a GemPro 250. I much prefer the GemPro, although a GOOD beam is a close second. The Frankford Arsenal digital is cheap, and would work well if you aren't loading precision long range, or anything else you want to be super precise with. As was said earlier, it starts to lose it's zero, or drift, as it warms up. It is battery powered though, and has an auto shutoff feature that I don't like. You can't turn it on and let it warm up first unless you babysit it and touch it every couple minutes, or it'll turn off.

I then decided I was going to spend a bit more on a nicer scale, and it had to have AC power and no auto shutoff. I picked up a GemPro 250. I plug it in the day before I'm going to load so it has a full day to get warmed up. It's super accurate, down to .02 grains. So far I've been very happy with it. Hope this helps.

Basic Member
    See if I can get this to post.

Nope

I'll work on this some more and see if I can get the pics to post.
    Last edited by Texas10; 05-10-2015 at 04:31 PM.

It appears that you did that so you'll have a consistant flat surface (bumping, etc) and the bungee is to keep it firm in place?

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic.
    Last edited by TXCOONDOG; 05-10-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added thanks

Basic Member
    Sorry, but I can't seem to get the pics to post directly.

Dang, the photo did not post like that when I checked it. Now I'm totally lost.

Anyway......yes, as you said.
    Last edited by Texas10; 05-10-2015 at 05:25 PM.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Enlighten me....who is Scott Parker ?

TEXAS10,

Can you post some pics of your mounted system and explain why ?
    Scott Parker is the man when it comes to the very best beam scale money can buy...1 kernel of H100V moves my beam...you can google Scott Parker beam scales and do a little reading and you'll see....great thing is when you buy a scale from him it comes with a life time warranty just like the big name guys.

Jimeg
    I agree with Texas10. The problem with digital scales is that you never know when they are accurate. I have a GemPro 250 which I like very much. However, I wasn't pleased with the SD's and ES's I was seeing with the chrono. I did several test comparing the GemPro to my RCBS balance beam. Much to my surprise, I found that I got consistently tighter groups with smaller SD's and ES's with the balance beam scale. I still used the GemPro to weigh bullets and cases, but rely on the balance beam scales for powder.

I just got off the phone with Scott Parker and I will have one of his tuned Redding scales in two weeks.

Thanks all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
    I agree with Texas10. The problem with digital scales is that you never know when they are accurate. I have a GemPro 250 which I like very much. However, I wasn't pleased with the SD's and ES's I was seeing with the chrono. I did several test comparing the GemPro to my RCBS balance beam. Much to my surprise, I found that I got consistently tighter groups with smaller SD's and ES's with the balance beam scale. I still used the GemPro to weigh bullets and cases, but rely on the balance beam scales for powder.
    i have a gempro 250 as well and the gempro does not handle trickling at all. it is a very good, very precise scale, but trickling totally trips it up.

an aws gemini-20 is very nearly as accurate as the gempro 250, is a fraction of the price, and the gemini-20 handles trickling fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimeg View Post
    The problem with digital scales is that you never know when they are accurate. .
    You never know if any scale, beam or digital is accurate without using verified accurate check weights at a target weight or across it's total weight range. Without them you only know what a scale is indicating.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I just got off the phone with Scott Parker and I will have one of his tuned Redding scales in two weeks.

Thanks all.
    How much for one of those tuned? I thought he only worked on scales that were sent to him and that he had stopped doing any tune jobs ever since ohaus went chinese.

Older Redding for $175 TMD and 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I emailed him (vld223@yahoo.com) with my cell and he called me

Older Redding for $175 TMD and 2-3 weeks for delivery.

I emailed him (vld223@yahoo.com) with my cell and he called me
    You made the right decision.

Most of you fellas having problems with your beam scales probably bought one used, unknowingly damaged or you left the scale assembled for long periods of time. The fulcrum gets damaged making zero and repeatability impossible to maintain. You can make huge improvements to a damaged fulcrum with a fine (diamond) hone. If your having problems get out a magnifying glass and look at the contact edges of the fulcrum. You don't want to remove very much metal and it is really an art. Do yourself a favor if you don't already, Disassemble your scale when your done and reassemble it carefully each time you use it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast