Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading cost vs factory ammo cost

Basic Member

So, with your average of .635 savings per round, and 42000 rounds, I'll bet you don't have $26,000 in reloading tools. Looks like savings to me....

Basic Member
    Yeah, but how many reloaders load 5,600 rounds a year.

Many, especially hunters, don't load more than a 200.
    It took about 3,500 rounds to pay for my equipment investment.

Basic Member
    I do not know any reloaders who are not brass horders, I mostly shoot and reload the 223 I shoot at several ranges and in the desert and a some ranges will not let you salvage brass but most will. I shoot mainly Lake City or military brass. If the brass has been trimmed and or swedged I sell it. That way I have a better chance of using once fired. One range that I am a member is used by Border patrol, and police dept. They always leave plenty of brass.

Believe it was said earlier, if you are primarily a hunter, buy your ammo. But if you are like most of us and figure that reloading is part of the hobby then it's worth reloading. I started keeping records of my reloading cost in the begining but stopped early on. Did not like the results. But when ammo was hard to find, I was still shooting. Now that some ammo is so cheap it make reloading inpractical I still reload. Why? cause I have the time and I enjoy it. Seriously reloading 9mm right now does not make sense but reloading 45 colt is still a savings

Basic Member
    You won't save any money as has been stated. What you can save is a lot of frustration with factory ammo even "match" rated factory ammo that is close, but fails to produce the results you were hoping for...

Team Savage
    I've keep a running total of cost for reloading equipment and supplies since I started reloading. Over the last 8 years, I've reloaded about 8,100 loads with a total cost of $5,300 for equipment and reloading supplies. That's an average cost of $0.65 per round. The bulk of those loads were 204 Ruger, 243 Winchester and 6mmBR for prairie dog trips. The rest where finding the most accurate loads for a number of hunting rifles. Around 3,000 rounds the average cost per load finally went below $1.00 per round. Add in the cost of labor and factory ammo is going to be cheaper. However, factory ammo seldom gives the consistent accuracy seen by working up loads for the same rilfe.

There's 2 main reason to re-load. (1) cost savings (2) better performance. I'm certainly NO expert, but I think majority of re-loaders do it for both reasons - I dont currently re-load and really dont have the space to do it right now. I started getting back into shooting and one day I will reload to get that optimal performance from my rig. If I was to compare "apples to apples", then I would compare the cost of the reloading vs cost of a match rounds.
    Semper Fidelis

Basic Member
    Actually, I think the 'cost savings' argument is a bit too simplistic.
    I saved lots of money over 'hyothetical factory rounds purchased' but in fact, given the budget I had available, the real benefit of reloading was that I got to shoot 44,800 rounds of really accurate reloaded ammo rather than about 18,000 rounds of good factory match ammo given the fact that factory ammo costs have gone up a lot from when I started to gather factory ammo cost data.

I remember one reloader who commented that "You don't save any money by reloading, you just get to shoot more really good rounds for the same money."
    I think that sums up the cost issue better than anything else I could add.

Basic Member
    I think I'm one of the oddballs. I started reloading just after the Sandy Hook school shooting. I had been wanting to do it for years, it had nothing to do with panic buying, political climate, etc. It was just typical bad timing on my part. I was actually able to find some components at good prices locally at a pawn shop that had old stock at old prices. So, I started loaded mainly .223 and some .308. Shot a bunch at first but have essentially quit to the point I am ashamed to say the last time I have actually pulled a trigger.

But, I have been stocking up and stocking up, buying when I find components cheap. I don't even want to say how much I have spent, but I essentially have what I need for a long time if there ever is a shortage. I like the idea of customizing the best load for a rifle or just loading some run-of-the-mill plinking loads for .223. Knowing I am not relegated to what is on a store shelf somewhere is very appealing.

But mainly, I like the idea of knowing that if times get crazy again, I don't have to worry about having what I need to shoot when I want to.

Basic Member
    As a reloader who only reloads 223, 40 S&W and 12 gauge so I can't really say costs. I buy other cal that I shoot because I use them so seldom that have no interest. I have been reloading for years adding equipment as I needed it. So cost has never been a factor.
    I never reload 55 fmj rounds Walmart sells them for as little as $28 per 100 around Tucson and I shoot such a small amount. Not long ago I was really into 3 gun contests and shot thousands of 55 and 52 grain 223 and did load them but as I got older the running around and shooting just got old and I got sick of the celeb shooters. Now I mainly shoot either Bench, F group or skeet and I Roll my own for accuracy. Cost dosen"t really enter into it.

Team Savage
    No matter how much you save by rolling your own ammo, you have the tools and WILL roll more so you can shoot more and WILL end up spending more in the end. And THAT'S a fact Jack!!
    Try loading for a gas gun. That right there will show you. 20 rounds thru a M1A or Mini 14 will go so fast you better have more ammo.
    You DON'T buy powder in 1 pound cans anymore. NOW it's 8 pounders. I went thru 5 or 6 8 pound jugs in nothing flat.
    As stated above, I also shoot for accuracy. From .221 Fireball and smaller up to and beyond 6.8 SPC. Started building Wildcats and tuning for one holers. Hooked solid and no chance of spitting out the hook.
    Best not to even compare, just keep rolling and shooting.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    My wife's opinion is that reloading is my main hobby and I just shoot to empty the cases

Good one...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage170 View Post
    My wife's opinion is that reloading is my main hobby and I just shoot to empty the cases

Good one...
    Or Reloading is my real hobby. I shoot to test my reloads

Basic Member
    I started reloading with shotgun shells back in 1959. Even then the cost of equipment/supplies made you wonder if it was worth the price. After making rough calculations, I found out that it was worth the startup price. I'm still doing reloading (but not shotgun shells though I have the equipment). Now, in my advanced years, I look at reloading this way: If you're going to build a new deck, which do you buy (a hand saw or a skil saw). The hand saw is much cheaper but will take you weeks longer than the skil saw. Plus, with the skil saw, you'll have the tool to build an addition onto your house much easier. The price of supplies now is higher than then but the hourly pay rate is higher also (actually in a pretty close ratio).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12