Thread: Scored a new Leica 1600-B

Scored a new Leica 1600-B

Ive been debating getting a good rangefinder for a while because I want to try starting to shoot long range. The rangefinder I use bowhunting just isnt getting the job done....and several people on here seem to like them as well. So...I just happened to get a Cabela's ad last week.....they had the "certified used" on sale for 650. They're supposed to be damaged packaging but never opened. I went to the store and they had 2, in the box, neither of which looked to have even been touched much less any damage to the box. So home with me 1 of them went. I really like it so far the little I've gotten to use it. Seemed like the price was right too since about everywhere I checked was 800.
    Scooter

LongRange
    Awesome range finder and great deal...youll like it.

5829bmg
    Range Report please I'm on the fence for one of these.

Will do 5829, went to range yesterday, and got an idea of my 280AI drop...so I can enter the correct ballistic chart into the rangefinder to see how it does with those calculations. Just the little I have messed with it at the house it ranges really well and quick.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by 5829bmg View Post
    Range Report please I'm on the fence for one of these.
    I can tell you what I think of mine. I got
    one about six months ago. I returned a couple other different brands because I couldn't get them to work at 1000yds on steel. This one does perfectly. In my opinion, this is the best sub $1000 rangefinder out.

Don't pause on buying a leica. My friend had one for ten years and the on off button was giving him problems so off it went to leica in new jersey I think and less than a week later he gets a complete new unit. So if you can afford one do it.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

I got to range some stuff with the Leica this weekend....it works great. I was ranging hillsides out to 1600+ with no problems. I had entered the drop chart for my 280AI into it. I had it set to show me the shoot to distance if I were at an angle but that wasnt necessary (I originally thought it would be). I didnt get to give it a complete workout, but it worked flawlessly. Readings were fast and seemed to be precise as well. A bit of a rest is needed to range longer range targets but it worked really well in my opinion.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    You bought the best rangfinder you will find among the units in that price category and even much higher.
    All of them work better when supported, even the very expensive ones.

I'll be in the market for a long range laser rangefinder soon. It seems the Vectronix Terrapin is top dog (under $5k) but I'm not excited about the steep $1995 price. Would the Leica 1600-B be the next best thing? I guess I need to search out some reviews and find out what I can afford.

I was an RO for the Snipers Hide Cup last weekend, and very few of the shooters with rangefinders were having luck ranging 1000y through rain and fog. I guess that's my shopping criteria, 1000y in the rain. @Scooterf79 were your atmospherics clear on those 1600+ targets, or did you have weather to deal with?
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

The weather was clear....and sunny, nothing weather wise to deal with, so I cant say with any kind of certainty about how it will do in less than ideal conditions.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    The Vectronix Terrapin was discontinued about a year or more ago. Some companies like Euro Optic still advertise them
    as being available but they wont have any if you call. Only the higher priced models are available
    Actualy sunny weather isnt ideal for the lazers. To the credit of your unit that it worked well in bright sun as many will not.

5829bmg
    scooterf79 Good to hear Thank you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    The weather was clear....and sunny, nothing weather wise to deal with, so I cant say with any kind of certainty about how it will do in less than ideal conditions.
    Scooter
    bright sun kills rangefinders. the IR from the sun washes out the IR laser.

ideal conditions are actually clear nighttime or overcast. in bright sun you get best results ranging off of shaded areas like under trees or at shaded bases of rocks.