Thread: What scope for model 10FCP

cdelgado14

What scope for model 10FCP

I'm in the process of getting my model 10 FCP-SR or FCP-HS Precision(that's another topic).My question is what should I go with?I plan to target shoot or hunt up to 6-700 yards.Not competition or anything.I just want to be able to touch something that far if I desired.

I spoke with the same shop im getting the gun from and they led me to a vortex viper for right at about $1000,and the radicals grew with the zoom.

I'm totally new to this forum and sport.I don't mind spending $1k on a scope...I just want it to be the beats bang for the buck.I don't wana spend $1k on a scope when I could get another scope for $5-600 and it perform better or just as equal as the viper.Any help is appreciated!

Team Savage
    I own several Vortex scopes. They work pretty well. I have a HST on my 223. It's 2nd focal plane so the reticle doesn't increase in size with increased magnification. The view through the HST is not near as clear as the view through my Bushnell. The Bushnell has an illuminated reticle that I have never used and never will. I suppose it would be useful for low light hunting conditions. I have returned two Vortex scopes because the magnification ring can't be rotated with one hand while in a shooting position. The first one was adjusted, the second scope was not. Customer service recommended I buy a $50 magnification ring lever, available from Vortex. I got one and installed it. It works fine. I intend to keep the Vortex scopes. Depending on what you're using it for, you may not need a $1000 illuminated scope. I am not bashing Vortex. It may pay to look around a little.

Basic Member
    The Viper PST is a great line of scopes for the money. I have 2 and they both track well,
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

cdelgado14
    Thanks.good to know.hopefully others will chime in as well.

hookahbruthaup
    Since you're only looking for 700m in order of ascending price. All of them are great scopes I currently have or have had but higher prices do reflect increases in clarity, brightness, build quality and turret precision. I've keyed almost all of them as having a ranging reticle.

SWFA 10x42SS $300
    Leupold 12x40 FX-3 $500 (more of a target scope than a tactical scope)
    SWFA 10xHD $800
    Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP $900
    Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite Tactical FFP $1000
    US Optics ST-10 $1500

This really is about what features you want, without A specific answer.
    I used to be a HUGE Leupold fan-boy...USED to be.
    Now that I actually have the skills of a very good marksman, I find that the scope is much less of a concern to my results.

Whichever system makes you happy(MOA, or MIL), to me, you absolutely HAVE to have matching turrets/reticle; so FFP.
    My 2 favorite scopes for my mile shooting are:
    --Weaver Tactical 3-15x #800363 This is a mil/mil, FFP with 5 mils per rev, and is .10 mil adjustments.
    --Primary Arms 4-14X FFP Mil/Mil .10 adjustments with 6 mils/rev.

Think I have the mils/rev correct, perhaps it's 4 and 5.....
    In any case, the PA is my favorite scope right now. It flat embarrased the SWFA 3-15, for target aquisition and clarity at distance. The optics aren't quite what the weaver are, but it is less than half the price. The turrets are crisp and repeatable. A bit more crisp than the Weaver, and light years better than ANY SWFA, except the 5-20 perhaps.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I look at it a bit different than darker, matching turrets and reticle aren't all that important to me, and IMO an FFP shines for range estimation, I use a laser so I don't use the reticle for ranging. What is important to me is a crisp clean image and turret adjustment that tracks correctly and returns to zero. My Nikon Monarchs do both for me. What I do agree with 100% is that it is all about what features you want. Get what you want and then learn how to properly use what you got.

huntin1

dpollard
    For the type of shooting you describe don't overlook the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x(44 or 50) (I paid around $500 4 years ago). It falls within your budget and has served me well as a scope out to about 1000 yds. I personally would not spend the money on an FFP scope. To me, the FFP scope reticle became too cluttered as well as too big at max power and too small and min power. I thought I had to have one until I shot one of my buddies. I am sure this is a Ford vs Chevy argument but thought I'd share my personal experience.

The HS LR is easy to dial for drop and the reticle is nice for windage correction. At max power the sub-tension lines for windage are 2,4,6 and 8 MOA. When you dial down there is a corresponding reticle multiplier on the power ring. All you do is multiply the sub-tension line by the multiplier. Super simple and is as fast at the FFP but for way less money.

Bottom line - buy the best you can afford and learn to use its specific features.
    Last edited by dpollard; 06-10-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Basic Member
    i am a huge fan of the viper pst 6-24 ffp with ebr-2c reticle. it will easily take you to 700 and beyond. fantastic value for the money.

I've got to agree with darkker....PA 4-16x44 is an excellent scope and you can't beat the price......! I have two of these scopes and have been extremely satisfied with them.
    Here's a link.....check it out....you'll be glad you did !

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...pa4-14xffp.htm
    [B][I][U]" We have met the enemy.... and he is us ! "[/U][/I][/B][I] (POGO)[/I]