Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 on long action

Basic Member

223 on long action

What do I need to do this other than a new bolt face? I see some online but they say they won't work on a 110?

Basic Member
    SA and LA actions have different lug sizes, and shaft lengths.

I have not found a mention of a 223 faced long action bolt. Had I found one I'd buy it to convert to 6.8 case head.

Basic Member
    There is a good picture of all the types somewhere on this site.

Basic Member
    Correct but I should be able to put the smaller bolt face and a 223 barrel on and shoot

Basic Member
    I am trying to say the bolt races, in the action, are different sizes. Also the shaft of the bolt is longer than the SA bolt.

If you find a LA bolt with a .376 bolt face and .50 lugs and a 1.125 shank let me know.

Maybe PTG will build you one, custom.

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/...oducts_id=1291

Basic Member
    Now you have me wondering if the head is press fit on the shank. Anyone know how they are built, my eyes are not that good.

Still leaves the lug size issue.

Basic Member
    It also depends if your Long action is a Magnum Long Action or was a 30-06. The 30-06 uses a .473 bolt head that matches the short action .473 bolt head. This one could be converted, but you would probably want to use a load ramp and single feed for the 223. I don't know of anyone that makes a magazine for the conversion.

You will need either 1. a long action .378 bolt head (which is long out of production and fairly scarce, although you can custom order one from PTG) or 2. a short action .378 bolt head and an extended firing pin stop nut from SSS.

As for feeding, you have just a few choices:

1. single shot
    2. bubba something
    3. CDI Savage Long Action/308 mag well DBM system and AI or Accurate-Mag 223 magazines (what I went with)

Basic Member
    Ok the extended firing pin stop is what I need then ok

Basic Member
    I love it when I learn stuff, thanks guys!

now, if all the stevens 200 actions are long actions, and you can buy a 223 stevens 200. then why couldn't you run the bolt or bolt head from a stevens 200? don't a lot of people buy them cheap only to yank the head for a larger diameter? it would seem that there should be a few lying around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 86alaskan View Post
    now, if all the stevens 200 actions are long actions
    They're not.

Call 1-763-682-4296 and talk to jim. If not try 1-308-432-5114 and talk to kevin rayhill as he might have what you want.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Okay, because this pertains, an update. I have a Stevens 200 LA, non magnum, and I took the bolt apart. The lugs match the 223 SA bolt (yes!) On my bolt there is an indent that the 270 bolt head is notched for, I will need to file a notch in the 223 bolt for it to work. Can't post pictures right now.

Remove the notch from inside the bolt body. Lots easier and still maintains functionality. The bolt head retaining pin will keep the bolt head in the correct position.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    I will do that, agreed on the retaining pin. Thanks!

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcullen View Post
    SA and LA actions have different lug sizes, and shaft lengths.

I have not found a mention of a 223 faced long action bolt. Had I found one I'd buy it to convert to 6.8 case head.
    Hi Just reading your statement and I don't understand it, I have a model 112, in 223, pre accutrigger single shot. Are you saying this is not common? thanks Bob

You can see the difference in lug length and shank length below.

L to R
    short action (7/16" lugs)
    short action controlled round feed(1/2" lugs)
    long action (1/2" lugs)
    new short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs)

Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pahoghunter View Post
    Hi Just reading your statement and I don't understand it, I have a model 112, in 223, pre accutrigger single shot. Are you saying this is not common? thanks Bob
    Looking to buy a new Savage part, or from PTG, but not calling and speaking to a human, I could not find a .378 diameter bolt face in a long action configuration.

I have ordered the SSS nut as suggested and will conver t my LA setup (270 Win based) to use a SA bolthead.

Quote Originally Posted by pdcullen View Post
    I have ordered the SSS nut as suggested and will conver t my LA setup (270 Win based) to use a SA bolthead.
    That's not gonna work. The long action needs to have the extra .125" bolt shank length. If you're using a long action bolt, you gotta use a long action bolt head.
    If you look through the FAQ's, I have a pretty comprehensive list of Savage factory bolt head part numbers. It doesn't have the particular bolt head you need though because Savage no longer stocks the part. Unless you call PTG, you're looking for a unicorn.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 05-06-2015 at 12:04 AM.

Basic Member
    Why does the long action have a longer bolt head? The short action bolt head will fit in a long action body. The only other difference is the length of the lugs.
    Could not someone put a short action bolt head in a long action and screw the barrel in setting head space as normal? The firing pin protrusion needs set but it needs set on any bolt head change.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    That's not gonna work. The long action needs to have the extra .125" bolt shank length. If you're using a long action bolt, you gotta use a long action bolt head.
    If you look through the FAQ's, I have a pretty comprehensive list of Savage factory bolt head part numbers. It doesn't have the particular bolt head you need though because Savage no longer stocks the part. Unless you call PTG, you're looking for a unicorn.
    That's what the extended nut is for...
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I spoke with Lisa in person and feel like given what I have, the extended nut will work. I happen to have an old diameter firing pin also, so will need to divide on the 'fix' for that before I put it together. Either ream the 223 bolthead or buy a new firing pin (I'd get the whole assembly if I do that.)

pahoghunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You can see the difference in lug length and shank length below.

L to R
    short action (7/16" lugs)
    short action controlled round feed(1/2" lugs)
    long action (1/2" lugs)
    new short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs)

Mine is .500 and is not controlled feed.

Basic Member
    Is a picture worth a thousand words?
    On the left, regular then extended stop nut
    Next to that, a LA bolt (left) next to an SA bolt, with a 'pin' showing the alignment.

Last edited by pdcullen; 05-06-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Got some facts backwards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast