Thread: Headspace Question

j_h_nimrod

Headspace Question

I just received my .240 Weatherby barrel from Apache Gunworks and am very pleased with Jim's work. Using gauges I got it headspaced correctly, and then liking to experiment I added a piece of packaging tape (.002) to the head of the go gauge and it would not close as I expected. I decided to check a piece of Weatherby brass as a "Hillbilly Gauge" and found that it took three pieces of tape (.006) to get to where I finally started to feel resistance and 4 (.008) before the bolt would no longer close.

My question is, would I be better off head spacing to a cartridge plus .002? Weatherby brass has always been very consistent and I am not too worried about getting brass out of spec and being a belted case would spacing closer to the belt be better?

I'd just fireform the brass to your newly head spaced chamber. Then you'll be head spacing on the shoulder instead of the belt which would give you a better potential for accuracy. Neck size from there on until bumping the shoulder becomes necessary.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I'd just fireform the brass to your newly head spaced chamber. Then you'll be head spacing on the shoulder instead of the belt which would give you a better potential for accuracy. Neck size from there on until bumping the shoulder becomes necessary.
    Sound advice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Yep, this is what I did when I had a .257 Weatherby. Very good advice here.