Thread: Stevens 110, 308 long range remodel

Touch601

Stevens 110, 308 long range remodel

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum, so bear with me. I have an old Stevens model 110 in a 308 caliber which I'm considering converting into a long range target gun. My question is, can I accomplish this little project by simply replacing the barrel and stock with better quality items, and if so what specs. do I need to know before I begin my search for replacements? Ideally I would love to go with a nice laminate thumb hole stock and I've seen bull barrels made of some carbon fiber material that looked great, but of course money is an object. Any suggestions or sites that might help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You Much

Re: Stevens 110, 308 long range remodel

The Bell and Carlson Duramaxx is a good replacement stock for the factory tupperware. It will take some prep work to get it ready for glass bedding but there are very good instructions here for accomplishing that. Stocky Stocks is also a good place to look for a replacement stock. I would recommend replacing the factory recoil lug with one that is machined dead flat like those being sold by Sharp Shooter Supply. You have a number of good companies to buy barrels from, ie, Pac-Nor, Shilen, McGowen, etc. Either Sinarms or Northlander here on the boards can help you there. Try to keep barrel choices simple, go with either chrome moly or stainless steel.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Touch601

Thank You for the info. I've been reading a lot of these post and am seeing a lot of trigger replacemant talk. Is this something that is really necessary? By the way, The weapon I'm speaking of is a Stevens model 110E series K in a 308 win. caliber. It has a factory wooden stock, which I've been told is slightly warped and needs to be reseated. When I aquired the rifle it was in pieces and the main stock screw located just in front of the blind mag was missing. I had one made but it is not a good fit. If I torque it down too much, it binds the action in such a way that I can't even work the bolt. If anyone out there has a spare factory screw, I'm in the market for one. Also, does anyone have a clue as to the age of this rifle? I can't find much info on it. The serial number is E231873.

82boy

Welcome to the site.

To start what is your expectations for the finished rifle? Do you want to compete in benchrest competition, like IBS, do you want to compete is F class, or tactical matches. If so you need to find out what is excepted in them and what they rules are? What is your definition of a "long range target rifle?" Do you want to shoot groups, or just hit an elk at a long range? What do you consider long range, 100 yards, 600 yards, 1000 yards? Are you limited by caliber? If not there may better cartridges than the 308, for your application. All of these questions need to be answered before you can go on.

yes you can take your rifle as far as you and your wallet wants to go. So you can change parts out as you wish.
    On products SSS makes some nice laminate stocks. Carbon wrapped barrels are expensive, and not necessarily the best thing, they are great where weight is an issue. A good trigger is a must! Any target gun needs a trigger that is light enough to keep the rifle from being disturbed from the aim point of the target.

The only site you need is this one. A paid membership of 12 bucks a year would give you access to the article,and classified sections of this site. SSS is a one stop shop , they make and sell anything you could ever need or want.