Thread: Hunting boots

Hunting boots

I was wondering what brand and weight of insulation everyone likes for their hunting boots.

I have an elk hunt this fall in Colorado. We are going third season this year. And we usually go second season. I'm wondering if my ultralight meindl boots by cabelas in 800 gram are going to be heavy enough. Thinking maybe I should go to 1000 or 1200 gram. Or maybe its not worth the money for the extra couple hundred grams.

It really depends on how easily your feet get cold. I know some guys who complain that even just 200 grams makes their feet to hot/sweaty in even the coldest of weather, and others who say their feet still get cold with 1200 grams. A lot of it also has to do with the right sock selection and their ability to breath and wick moisture away from your foot.

That said, I'd much rather have hot feet than cold feet when I'm out in the woods so it's always better to err on the side of caution.

And that's my two cents worth.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

If you do a lot of stand hunting, thicker insulation is better. But if you cover lots of miles, thicker can be horrible. Elk hunting in the PNW has me usually parking the truck at zero dark thirty and not seeing it again until after dark. It's not unusual to cover 15-20 miles. I do it in two sets of discontinued Cabela's Elk Hunters, made by Danner at 400 gram. I switch pairs daily just so I'm not putting on a wet pair in the morning.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Since I live in Colorado and hunt Elk here(along with everything else) I'll pipe in. I have hunted Elk for close to 50 years in boots from 0 insulation to the heaviest felt lined packs. The real key is to wear boots that you can walk in and boots that breathe. I don't own a pair of hunting boots over 400.
    If you have a pair of 800's that work for you, you should stay with them. If you are going to be in a stand all day in very severe cold you are better off using a pair of boot blankets that you can stuff in your day pack and put them on once you are in the stand.
    Good luck with your hunt.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Thanks guys. I do have a set of boot blankets. I will probably just take them. We hike over to where we hunt then just sit there. So they would really be all I'd need. I should probably take the $200 or so that I'd spend on boots and put it toward something else for my trip.

Basic Member
    The boot blankets would be a good choice based on your use.
    The old military mickey mouse boots are still hard to beat for
    long sitting sessions in cold weather also. Not good to walk around in however.

Your boots should work just fine. My boots have 800gms of Thinsulate and I've not had a problem using them here in ND during winter deer hunts, or the elk hunting trips I've taken to both Colorado and Montana. Wear good socks. I know many guys that spend $400 to $500 on a pair of boots and then wear cheap crappy socks, then whine cause their feet are sore or cold. I wear a silk underliner sock and then a pair of wool socks, they both wick moisture well and the wool will keep your feet warm even when wet.

Huntin1

Thanks huntin1. I will look into silk sock liners too.

SparkyLB
    I'll bite. For me, the variables are (in no particular order), the amount of walking involved, sweating, breathability and insulation. Pak boots are often made of rubber, and accordingly usually don't breathe but often accommodate thick liners which mean more insulation. Leather breathes at the cost of slightly less insulation. Sweat is a key variable. My feet sweat when I'm barefoot at my computer desk at room temperature. Sweat is the worst enemy in the cold. If your feet are even slightly wet, your experience will be negative. You'll be cold.

Do your feet sweat heavily? Will your hunt be stationary? What I've done in the past, is walk into the woods with (ballpark) 800 grams insulated leather boots, and after I get in, change out my socks, and the boots for pak boots. Also consider that pak boots typically are poor for foot support during walking, and are tedious to walk in.

If you don't sweat too badly, then the advice that came before my post sounds about right.

I've had to inconvenience myself with either two sets of boots, or at the very least, two sets of felt liners if I'm wearing pak boots. To sum it up, if your hunt is stationary, go for high insulation with the understanding that your feet must be dry to reap the benefits. Make that happen by whatever means.

Enjoy the hunt!