Thread: MODEL 110 BARREL ISSUES, MACHINE MARKS?

7stw

MODEL 110 BARREL ISSUES, MACHINE MARKS?

Well I am officially a barrel nut fan. I now own 3 Savages , and am Eyeing a model 12 in .308. My newest accquisition is a 110, with wooden stock, in 30-06, with accu-trigger. Gun is in GREAT shape, used but not fired when I bought it. I loaded a few loads for it that normally shoot well in a "06', and they did. I'm talkin' .750 groups @ 100 yds. But when I cleaned it between shootings ,I noticed that internally, I could feel machine marks, sorta like corragation marks, that were consistent from the beginning to the muzzle. I think that these are machine marks left when the deep drilling took place. Now the cleaning rod tension from beginning to end is consistent and does not change, but you can actually feel the "radial' grooves in the barrel. It doe NOT affect accuracy, obviouslly,but am wondering about fouling issues. Wil this cause early fouling? Will it 'go away'? Or should I contact Savage? My model 10 fp in .223 barrel is slick as glass. My sons Stevens 200 in .270 is smooth and consistent. This one is consistent, but I have never felt this in a barrel before. I have heard of it, but have never actually owned one. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7STW

Re: MODEL 110 BARREL ISSUES, MACHINE MARKS?

There are a few post with picture about this on the forum but i think you need a membership in order to view them. The jist of the discussion is don't worry about it because many barrels including the match grade target guns have them also. They should smooth out with shooting the gun. They also say not to clean it as often as most of us learned early on because most perform better when dirty and should only clean as accuracy drops off.
    The $12 fee for membership is a small price to pay for the wealth of knowledge that can be found here in the FAQ sections and the archived articles.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

JCalhoun

I agree. As long as it shoots good there shouldn't be any issues with it.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun
    +1. Any 30-06 that shoots 3/4" groups should NOT be complained about. The proof of the barrel is in the shooting, not the cosmetics.

7stw

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun
    +1. Any 30-06 that shoots 3/4" groups should NOT be complained about. The proof of the barrel is in the shooting, not the cosmetics.
    I took this rifle to the range today and it AGAIN shot groups, with 2 diferrent bullets that would not NOT break the .750 mark. I am totally impressed. This gun is a keeper, and no flash in the pan. ( pardon the pun) It loves 168 barnes tsx, and also 168 Berger VLD hunting bullets. Originally, I bought it to "fill the gap" and to possibly be a switch barrel. I think I going to leave this one alone.