Thread: Base and rings question

Base and rings question

Finally got my first Axis. Its a .243 LH bolt and I really like the way it fits me. Next step is to mount my VX-I scope. I lean toward Leopold because I really lit the windage adjustment, but I've read comments that these hang over the back of the action. Using these would save buying new rings, but I don't want surprises or wasted money. What do you recommend?
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Basic Member
    So I am not sure I understand..you want to use some existing Leopold rings you already have?
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

You'll need an extended set of rings to attach that VX1 to Leupold bases. The action length is too long to mount the scope using standard rings.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

As Hotolds442 noted, due to the length of the Axis action you really, really, REALLY need to use a 1-piece picatinney rail type base. Most scopes today are very short and may not even be mountable with a 1-pc Leupold mount, and even if it does you'll have little to no room to move it fore or aft to adjust the eye relief. A picatinney rail lets you place the rings anywhere you like along the length to accommodate any length scope and to move everything for and aft as needed to achieve the correct eye relief.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Rosco - yes, I already have Leopold rings I'd like to use.
    Hotolds42 - Extended rings? Heard of extended bases, but not rings. Educate me?
    J.Baker - I get what you're saying, but I wasn't intending to use one piece Leopold bases. I was looking at the two piece for the Savage 10/110 round receiver. You still think the once piece Picatinney is the best way to go? If so, what rings would you recommend?
    "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
    - Noah Webster

Basic Member
    another option: DNZ Game Reaper THey are one-piece ring/mount combo. Simple, effective. Ambidextrous. I have had good luck with these on both Axis and 110's.

http://www.amazon.com/DNZ-Products-S...me+reaper+axis

Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Thanks for the links. Hots - long as I've been shooting, never knew those bases existed. Learns something new every day.
    - Noah Webster