Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: build or buy

dieseltech97

build or buy

I have come across what seems to be a good deal a savage model 12 lrp for just under $900 its in 260 REM, I don't have much experience with this caliber but I've heard good things, but at the same time I kind of want to build a savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, any suggestions? I would be using it for long range target practice and some small game

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseltech97 View Post
    I have come across what seems to be a good deal a savage model 12 lrp for just under $900 its in 260 REM, I don't have much experience with this caliber but I've heard good things, but at the same time I kind of want to build a savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, any suggestions? I would be using it for long range target practice and some small game
    260 is an awesome cal and you have your choice of brass...with the 6.5CM your stuck with hornady brass...as far as which is a better long range caliber its pretty much a wash...personally id take a 260 over a 6.5CM any day because of brass...lapua,nosler,Winchester,remington in 243(neck size up to 6.5),260 outta the box or 308(neck down and neck turn) take your pick.

dieseltech97
    I am very interested in the 260 but does anyone know if the lrp is worth it or should I build one?

The 260 is a good choice. Better choice of components than the Creedmoor. Personally I Would put the 260 on a long action.

Norma is making brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor but it's hard to find. The last box of Hornady brass has been great so far. No problems.

dieseltech97
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    The 260 is a good choice. Better choice of components than the Creedmoor. Personally I Would put the 260 on a long action.

Norma is making brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor but it's hard to find. The last box of Hornady brass has been great so far. No problems.
    Why a long action?

A 260 is as good as they come!

Nothing wrong with the others you mentioned as well.

JMO, Dennis

Basic Member
    Why a long action?
    Probably to allow long seating of long, high BC bullets, without infringing on powder space. Very common thing to do with short action rounds.

Why a long action?
    Give you more leeway as to how far out you can seat bullets to reach the lands and still feed/eject live rounds.

dieseltech97
    That makes sense, will the 260 feed out of a 308 magazine? I may start hunting for a long action. What size bolt face is needed for the 260?

The 260 is just a necked down 308 so it will feed out of a 308 magazine. Bolt head is also the same.

Basic Member
    Never understood the short action rounds in a long action. Might as well build a 6.5-06 if you are going with a long action?

Basic Member
    Some short action rounds when loaded with the long, high ballistic coefficient bullets, set out far enough to reach the lands simply do not fit in a short action rifle. That is why they are better in a long action.

bama1
    I have the LRP 260 and there is room to spare loading Berger bullets in the magazine.

That is good to know. 140gr Bergers?

D.ID
    If your buying......it is what it is...........260=nothing wrong with that at all.
    If your building: Short action= 6.5 creadmoor
    : long action = 6.5x55 sweed

Basic Member
    I built my 6.5 Swede for right at $1000 w/o scope. The best part of building is you get a hand lapped match barrel for that price plus a fun project. My latest groups have been in the .25" range.

Basic Member
    ^ There is a lot to be said for the above plan :-) ^

bama1
    I tried 140's but could never get what I wanted accuracy wise. The 130 Berger hunting vld is hard to beat in my gun.

dieseltech97
    Well I picked up the lrp today, waiting on my optics and reloading dies any tips on where to start with loads?

20. 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
    Reason
    Double dribble

Basic Member
    Buy the Leo and don't look back . I did a build on a 116, regret not going LRP.

Basic Member
    Well I picked up the lrp today, waiting on my optics and reloading dies any tips on where to start with loads?
    Based on what others seem to be shooting in their long range .260's and other 6.5's I'd buy 100 cases of Lapua brass, if you can find them (they are worth the price), H4350 and one of the flavors of Berger 140 VLD's or Sierra Match Kings. My Swede likes the Berger Hybrids. They are supposedly more forgiving as far as seating depth. I shoot mine well off the lands.

dieseltech97
    Quote Originally Posted by YDKDY View Post
    Based on what others seem to be shooting in their long range .260's and other 6.5's I'd buy 100 cases of Lapua brass, if you can find them (they are worth the price), H4350 and one of the flavors of Berger 140 VLD's or Sierra Match Kings. My Swede likes the Berger Hybrids. They are supposedly more forgiving as far as seating depth. I shoot mine well off the lands.
    Alright I'll give it a trounce I get everything put together. I'm excited to get the barrel broke in and Start hand loading but wow factory ammo is hard to find and expensive

Basic Member

Not sure if this helps you any but handy nonetheless

Basic Member
    I have an LRP in 6.5, the factory bull barrel shot 1/2 moa. I've got 6 reloads on some brass and they'e still in good shape. Seems like most of the guys around here are shooting 139 scenars in the 260/6.5 CM. The Amax had significant differences between boxes of bullets requiring changes in the seating die. The Scenars have been really consistent.
    Last edited by Newsshooter; 04-12-2015 at 04:43 PM.

dieseltech97
    Just waiting on optics now I had an extra weaver 20 moan base but figured out it does not fit since it has a lip protruding off the bottom but I ordered a different one that hopefully will fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast