Thread: Savage 64G. Impressions, upgrades....

Savage 64G. Impressions, upgrades....

I've got a nice 64G as a Valentines Day gift. Awesome, I know. I have wanted one as a kid to supplement a Remington 511, but ended up with a 10/22 instead. Forgot about the Savage for years and then one day it was handed to me. The first time I took it to the range I tout I had the Holy Grail of semi autos. It shot amazingly well, even had a few groups tighter than the ole trusty 511. The trigger was ok, I've dealt with a LOT worse (Army M4 carbine, M249, 240B, and yes, even the Issue M14 triggers suck despite what mall Rangers may say). Zero malfunctions with six types of ammo, and 700+ rounds town the tube.

My only complaint was that crappy magazine release, and I don't like plastic trigger guards. I ordered both the extended mag release and trigger guard from DIP, both of which arrived VERY swiftly. The mag release was a royal PITA to put in, but goodness is it worth every single penny. Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't like the trigger guard. It feels wayyyy too proud, sort of ruins the lines of the gun. Unfortunately in my excitement I threw out the plastic trigger guard so I'm stuck, but at least it works. Somebody really needs to make an old school type trigger guard of thin metal like the old Winchester and Remington bolt action .22s had. Much more graceful looking. The DIP guard should be right at home on the 64TR though.

Anywho, after a good cleaning without removing the barrel but checking screws for snugness, the gun shoots patterns. I did bore snake the barrel, and tried every single type of ammo I had (12 types of various grains, manufactures, solids, plated, you name it), the gun could get no better than 2" at 50 yards, where before I was getting under 1" easily. I shoot iron sighted, but I did scope it just to be sure, and came to the same conclusion. My 10/22s both shoot less an 1" at 50, and they are stock carbines, one iron and one scoped.

I have since completely disassembled the rifle including removing the barrel and bolt, and am waiting to get back to the range and retest. Is this unusual, or is it somewhat common? I'm not giving up on the rifle, I love how naturally it carries and points, but I'd like to at least be able to shoot semi decent groups.

I would like to also get peeps on this rifle within the near future, and have had a heck of a time figuring out which ones. I have ruled out any of the groove mounted sights, and will stick with D&T type sights. I don't want one with obnoxious overhang, and since the receiver is thin that leaves me with practically nothing. I've called and asked Williams, but to no avail. The guys at RFC have been great at advising, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask here either. Has anybody had success with a receiver mounted peep on their 64?

I am looking into somehow getting my hands onto the peep sight from a Savage Rascal. I think it fits the lines of the gun really well, being simple, stamped sheet metal, small, and looks older. I'm not sure if the receiver widths are the same or not but it is a thought, and the only half way practical solution I could come up with.

The Model 64 is an obscure animal and ther'es very little aftermarket support for it as you've probably discovered - at least when compared to the likes of the Ruger 10/22 and Remington 597. Likewise, we really don't seem to have to many around here who have them, or if they do they rarely talk about them as posts are few and far between.

On your accuracy issue, I would try playing with the action screw torque just to see if that makes a difference. Also, a general rule of thumb is not to clean your rimfire rifle bores until the accuracy starts falling off. Could be your bore just needs to foul up a bit since cleaning it.

Can't help you on the peep sight issue other than to recommend checking with the usual manufacturers to see if they offer anything for the 64.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Sav 64
    Actually the savage 64 does have a little aftermarket support. DIP inc has an awesome extend magazine release and an extended bolt knob. You can also replace the iron sights with the fiber optic sights from the stainless steel savage 64(i did have to file the base of the rear fiber optic sight so it would sit a little lower and not shoot high).