Thread: What kind of problems am I looking at?

What kind of problems am I looking at?

I have a Stevens 200 Centerfeed that was a .223 but have since swapped out the barrel to 6x47. Once I get over 75 grains with hunting bullet the start eating the powder room from seating them deep enough to use the magazine let alone a VLD style or Mono Metal bullets. Well I had my rifle apart the other day and noticed that little black plug at the back of the mag, wondering what kind of can of worms I'd be getting into if I got the Dremel out and worked on it?

My barrel twist is fast enough to stabalize 85-95 grains in theory and I'd like to play around with some heavy bullets.

MDM

Re: What kind of problems am I looking at?

Why not just get a single shot follower?

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1
    I have a Stevens 200 Centerfeed that was a .223 but have since swapped out the barrel to 6x47. Once I get over 75 grains with hunting bullet the start eating the powder room from seating them deep enough to use the magazine let alone a VLD style or Mono Metal bullets. Well I had my rifle apart the other day and noticed that little black plug at the back of the mag, wondering what kind of can of worms I'd be getting into if I got the Dremel out and worked on it?

My barrel twist is fast enough to stabalize 85-95 grains in theory and I'd like to play around with some heavy bullets.
    Just buy a 243/308 sized mag box for your action. Keep or sell your 223 magbox and call it a day.

To answer all questions.

I built this as a walking varmint rifle so that is why I want to keep it a repeater. Plus I'm able to push 70 grain bullets at 3000 fps which gives me over 1000 ft lbs of energy so I can legally hunt deer, pronghorn and bear with it. If I can get 80+ grain bullets to 2700-2800 fps then I'll make the magic numbers as well to be legal to hunt and have a better selection of hunting bullets. I plan on taking this rifle on a pig hunt next week so I'll find out how the Nosler BT 70 grain work on them and everything else might be moot. Think this might make a nice little pronghorn rifle for my daughter to use to get her first one in a couple of years.

Don't think the .243/.308 magazine will work since my 6x47 is based off of the .222 Rem Mag case. If my cartridge was based off of the Swiss Match round then it should work with the .308 magazine. I just can't imagine the .222 Mag case staying in the .308 sized magazine.