Thread: Picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 6X18X44 Vbrite

Basic Member

Picked up a Vortex Crossfire II 6X18X44 Vbrite

This was an impulse buy after looking through the scope at Academy Sports. Seemed to have generous eye relief and a great illuminated target dot, 1/4 mil turrets. Enough power to shoot out to 300 yds. Still in the box. Anyone have experience with this particular scope? Is it a keeper?

Basic Member
    Wow…not a single response……guess that speaks volumes. This appears to be the model made in China and although it is said to be completely redesigned, it is apparently marketed not for it's performance so much, but it's customer service. Not exactly the same as reliable and consistent. I guess this one is going back unopened and will save up for something better.

I wouldn't go quite so far as to take it back untested. It's not gonna have the optical quality of the Viper or Razor series, but for the money, it's gotta be a lot better than the bubble packed $39 scopes at WalMart. If the optical quality lets you see out to 300, then why not run with it. If it becomes problematic, use the warranty until you can't stand it anymore. Just be sure to send it back one last time so that when you sell it, it's new in the box.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I haven't had any experience with that particular magnification but, I do have a Crossfire in 8.5X32X50AO. The eye relief is very critical on it. It's an OK scope for the $99 I paid for it 6 years ago. It's been back to Vortex only one time and they replaced the adjustments and cleaned/lubed it about a month ago. The optical quality is no where near a Viper, more like a Bushnell Banner. On hot hazy days with a lot of mirage, I have to dial down the magnification to 24 power or less to get a clear sight picture. I'm going to be replacing it with a Mueller 6.5X25X44AO which has much clearer glass.

Basic Member
    Well…. I took it out of the box, mounted it and sighted it in at the local range. I had it on paper the first shot at 50 yds. Shot several at 100 yds, then 200 yds. Clarity was good, parallax acceptable and the illuminated target dot was a benefit on the dark and cloudy day. Resetting back to 100 yds was dead on. Did not have time to shoot the box to test repeatability.

Biggest drawback with this model is that you need to use a coin to unscrew the set screw holding the turret knobs in order to reset to zero. I prefer the lift and turn reset method.

I plan to shoot it at 300 yds next week and will update with results.

So far, so good.

Any update on the Crossfire II at longer range?

Basic Member
    Not yet, GA. Was set to shoot at 300 last trip but my buddy was having a lot of trouble with his 243 moving off paper. Turned out he forgot to use locktite on his scope mounts and the whole thing came loose. So much for his load work up….Will try again next week.

dpollard
    I've got a crossfire on my AR. Not the Crossfire II. It's ok for what it is. I use it as a coyote gun, out to about 250-300 yds. I got a really good deal at a vortex demo day sale.

I've got a diamondback, and it's been pretty good

Basic Member
    Update on first try at 300 yds for the Crossfire II; Shot today at 200 and 300 yds. Glass was plenty clear enough at 300 yds and 18X to see my 223 rounds land on the target, so big improvement over my 6-24X40 Bushnell. Eye box got fairly small at that power and range, but still very useable, so I don't see any reason not to keep it, so far.

I did notice that as I dialed up the elevation it seemed to place shots to the left, but I am not positive that what I was seeing wasn't just wind drift while shooting 52 grain A-Max.

BTW; my model 12 BVSS is shooting SOOOO much better since bedding the action

Conditions were 84 F, light winds with occasional gusts to 10, humid, occasional light to heavy rain, with a tropical storm bearing down on us. Central Texas is going to get clobbered again, with more expected flooding tonight thanks to TS Bill.

bigcheese920
    I had the 4-16x50 crossfire ii on my 10T and it's a great scope for 400 yards and in but as soon as I went to 600 yards the mirage was so bad I had to have it on 10 power just to see the target. It didn't matter if it was 80 degrees or 60 degrees. I then went out and bought the Viper 6.5-20x50 PA. Great scope for the money and much clearer than the crossfire.