Thread: ground squirrel problem

Stainless

ground squirrel problem

along with my pocket gopher problem I crossed paths on 10-15 occasions with ground squirrels in my yard this weekend...is there a way I can call them with my foxpro to get them out of their holes?

vermonter

Re: ground squirrel problem

Are they digging and scratching themselves a lot??? And are they rolling around in the dirt a lot??? Just wondering if the poison oak gets to them. :)

Uncle Jack

The answer to your problem is a 220 Swift and patience.....lots so patience.

uj

358Hammer

I like the 220 swift idea best. However if you are in an area with close neighbors this might be fun.

Ever seen the electrode system for getting nightcrawlers out of the ground? We made our own system for moles and gophers. Dad took some grounding rods when I was a kid and drove them 2-3 feet in the ground. The intent was permanent for getting worms but he changed things up a bit and it worked great. In the spring of the year it worked best as the ground was saturated. He took heavy gauge electrical wire and wired up several of thses poles. He then put a plug on the end.

My job was to take a garden house and fill all the rodent holes. Every fall we did the heavy watering and filled the holes with water at freeze up. Rodent population disappeared in our yards and moved (I guess) out into the horse pasture. I do remember being really disappointed as a kid, standing on the porches with the trusty 22 waiting for the varmints to come boiling out of those holes!

Neal

Lay some pan traps out side the hole, see if the get to curious.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Team Savage

17 HMR, a motion detector and some peanuts

Stainless

I always like it when a plan comes together. Didnt want to take em all in one night

....Haha

Basic Member

We have those little guys but they are protected here and don't damage much ........instead we slay the California ground squirrels ........ "grey diggers" they are called in these parts.

As meat eaters, our ground squirrels are very aggressive and even eat each other.

And our squirrels can be called with a coyote howler. Just use a coyote pup in distress and they come popping out right and left for a look see!

You can also live trap with peanut butter or uncooked oatmeal cereal. I have caught many in a Havaheart trap.

For gophers, the best way for a home owner would be to buy some genuine gopher traps. Find the tunnel and set the trap in it at a mound entrance. Early mounds will have a horse shoe shape and the majority of the tunnels are approaching the "open" side of the horseshoe pattern.

Three 44s

they look like what we call stripped or streaked gophers here.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Uncle Jack

".....I have caught many in a Havaheart trap."

Why?

What did you do with them?

uj

Stainless

thought I would post a better pic with the tools I used as well. unfortunatly I dont have a savage .22 yet

[img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/stainlessguy/P5180002.jpg[/img]

Uncle Jack

".....We have those little guys but they are protected here "

Gophers?..Ground Squirrels?...protected?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Where do you live?

uj

Basic Member

Uncle Jack,

I live in central Washington.

The squirrel in question may or may not be the same as what I believe is protected here. The one I am refering to that I believe is protected here is the Golden Mantle ground squirrel.

It goes to show one ------- there sure are a lot of "squirrels" in this country!

You also asked what do I do with squirrels trapped in a havaheart trap?

I drown them

Three 44s

basalt

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless
    thought I would post a better pic with the tools I used as well. unfortunatly I dont have a savage .22 yet

[img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/stainlessguy/P5180002.jpg[/img]
    Convert that thing to a 10/17 mach2! You'll never want a 22 again!

Hutch

You'll never want a 22 again!
    .......AAAaaaaAAAAAaaaaahhhhh!!!! who would think of such a thing?!?!? Blasphemous I say!!

Hutch ( 22rf till I die!!!) ;D

Don - LongRangeSupply

These suckers WORK and look like a lot of FUN!

http://www.rodentblaster.com/

www.varmitgetter.com

You might find one for rent some where, or you could fabricate your own if you are mechanically inclined.

From what I could find you need a 97% oxygen to 3% propane mix.
    propane tank and regulator with a flow control valve
    oxygen tank and regulator plus flow control valve
    an ignition system - piezoelectric ignition or an automobile spark plug, 12 v battery, ignition coil, switch to spark it
    a delivery hose - a modified propane weed burner will do the gas delivery, cover the back side of the weed burner with some sheet metal so that the the gas doesn't flow backwards out of the hole.

Some propane weedburners have piezo ignition systems on them...but apparently they will eventually be damaged by the blast concussion. I think an automotive spark plug is the way to go if you plan on using it a lot.

A home made device probably wouldn't hold up to daily use but if you only have a few acres it should get the job done.

Oxy/Acetylene at the right mix should also work if you already have a torch setup.

some thing should not be shown to the weak minded. Hay Bubba watch this!!! hum, wonder how to get that to work under water for fishing???

Ford tractor / modal T coil