Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacific Tool and Gauge bolt heads

Team Savage

I was going to say the same thing about post # 20 but I figured it better if someone else mentioned it. Pretty obvious to me.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

jcat
    I had extraction problems with my 110BA for about 2 years. I sent it back to Savage 2 times and they worked on it, but did not fix the problem.
    I bought a bolt head from Pacific tool (took 4 months to receive it), had is installed, check the head spacing, and compared the savage and the pacific bolt heads.

The savage was off in size from one side to the other about .02, the pacific was dead on, side to side.
    I have run 200 rounds through the rifle since then and have not had 1 piece of brass fail to extract.

Some have said the Hornady Brass is too soft, for me it was a bolt head that was not made correctly.

Basic Member
    I can only go on looks at the moment. I bought a Pacific bolt face for my Savage Target action because of a caliber change. The factory Savage part looked like it was made by a kid in Juarez with a rock and an old file. It has a big ding on the edge of the face where the metal is actually peened over and standing proud of the face. Perhaps it was dropped or something, but it looks more like it was hit (hard) with something. If it was dropped, it was onto a very hard unyielding surface and from a considerable height.

On the other hand, the Pacific part looks like a real gun component. Nicely machined and finished. I don't yet know how it will function, but I'm glad I spent a few extra bucks based on looks alone.

I put one on my target action( 6.5x47 ) and model 12 bvss .223. I had cratering on primers with both rifles. The cratering went away on both rifles when I installed them.

Basic Member
    I bought a PTG head for my Savage 12 which I converted to 6mm BR Norma. The bolt head is very nice looking; however, the diameter of the recess in the bolt face where the cartridge base fits is larger than the Savage factory part. The Savage part ejects the rounds properly. The PTG part, because it's larger, just drops the case in the receiver during extraction just as the case neck clears the chamber and I have to fish out the case by hand EVERY time. I contacted PTG about it and they said send it back. I sent them the dimensions, explaining that their part is significantly different from the Savage factory bolt face and asked if that was "normal" or not. In other words, did they possibly send me the wrong part or are all their "standard" (.473" diameter case base) bolt faces like the one they sent me.

That's important because if the part is the wrong one, I'd like to exchange it. On the other hand, if all the PTG bolt faces are made to the incorrect dimensions, then exchanging one bad part for another bad part makes no sense. The reason I wanted to find out about this is because I use this gun in competition and I hate for it to be out of commission any length of time. Plus, if I have to swap the factory bolt face in and then out again once I get the replacement part, that means I have to disassemble my rifle and set the head space twice rather than just once. I'd prefer to do it just once.

I even volunteered to purchase a second part and then get a refund later if they were worried about the value. Asking if the part dimensions I had on hand were the same as all the PTG heads or if mine was an error on their part which could be corrected was not an unreasonable request, at least in my view. Apparently PTG disagrees. "Send it back" is not what I wanted to hear, but now PTG refuses to answer my inquires about how to fix this problem.

Bottom line: They make nice looking parts and I have no doubt some of them function properly. But the one they sold me is defective and it doesn't work properly; i.e. it's unsatisfactory. Furthermore, they won't tell me if mine is unusual or if all their Savage 6mm (standard) bolt faces are made to the wrong dimension, in which case I would be wasting my time to exchange it. In other words, not only do PTG parts, in this instance anyway, suck, their customer service sucks too.

Basic Member
    Yeah, in this case, their attitude seems to be as if you're only talking about a $50 item when, in fact, that one little part is affecting a $1,200-2,000 "system" and a large part of your shooting season. It shouldn't be that big a hassle for them to confirm the dimensions of the part they would be sending you to replace it. Even if the one you have would maybe work fine in another rifle, the fact it doesn't work in yours, and therefore you need a smaller one should justify their effort to find one or at least confirm that they don't have what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    They're talking about bolt heads, not bolt bodies. Other than the custom sizes the only advantage is if your factory bolt head has a flaw of some type causing issues. Some call Savage to get it replaced, some call PTG. Savage requires an FFL or waiver in order to ship these parts though I believe. Sometimes you can just contact Numrich and get the part you need even quicker though.
    I agree with LoneWolf, the bolt head has to be strong whoever it comes from. Bolt bodies are a different story.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

B Coz 312
    Do they make them for older 110 models? I need a bolt head for a pre-1999 110 Tactical 300 Win Mag. If anyone here knows where I can get one would be grateful for the help. Savage told they do not have it only the newer models. Brownells, Midway, and Numrich have all been a no go on finding it.

thanks in advance.
    B Coz

Basic Member

Pt&g

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    I put one on my target action( 6.5x47 ) and model 12 bvss .223. I had cratering on primers with both rifles. The cratering went away on both rifles when I installed them.

Same for me...cratering with the stock .223 bolt head was eliminated with a new PT&G head

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
    Same for me...cratering with the stock .223 bolt head was eliminated with a new PT&G head
    I'm also fighting this with my V11 .223

I've modified the firing pin a little (flattened the tip a bit) and though it has helped, there is still some flashing around the firing pin indentation on the primer.

I'm on the fence as whether to pursue the pin modification, or get a PT&G bolt head. I hadn't heard of the headspace changing till reading this, but it makes sense I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbe View Post
    I'm also fighting this with my V11 .223

I've modified the firing pin a little (flattened the tip a bit) and though it has helped, there is still some flashing around the firing pin indentation on the primer.

I'm on the fence as whether to pursue the pin modification, or get a PT&G bolt head. I hadn't heard of the headspace changing till reading this, but it makes sense I guess.

Original my 11 hunter cratered and occasionally pierced every load.
    Now its GTG with the PTG bolt head.

What primer?
    CCI400?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Original my 11 hunter cratered and occasionally pierced every load.
    Now its GTG with the PTG bolt head.

What primer?
    CCI400?
    CCI 400

I know I can switch to a different primer (BR4 or magnum) and the flashing will decrease or go away, but that's not really fixing the problem. These are not hot loads by any stretch.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    No.
    my gunsmith just out a ptg bolt head and a factory bolt head in the Rockwell hardness tester. PTG was harder than factory. Also savage was harder than rem 700 bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    I bought a PTG head for my Savage 12 which I converted to 6mm BR Norma. The bolt head is very nice looking; however, the diameter of the recess in the bolt face where the cartridge base fits is larger than the Savage factory part. The Savage part ejects the rounds properly. The PTG part, because it's larger, just drops the case in the receiver during extraction just as the case neck clears the chamber and I have to fish out the case by hand EVERY time. I contacted PTG about it and they said send it back. I sent them the dimensions, explaining that their part is significantly different from the Savage factory bolt face and asked if that was "normal" or not. In other words, did they possibly send me the wrong part or are all their "standard" (.473" diameter case base) bolt faces like the one they sent me.

That's important because if the part is the wrong one, I'd like to exchange it. On the other hand, if all the PTG bolt faces are made to the incorrect dimensions, then exchanging one bad part for another bad part makes no sense. The reason I wanted to find out about this is because I use this gun in competition and I hate for it to be out of commission any length of time. Plus, if I have to swap the factory bolt face in and then out again once I get the replacement part, that means I have to disassemble my rifle and set the head space twice rather than just once. I'd prefer to do it just once.

I even volunteered to purchase a second part and then get a refund later if they were worried about the value. Asking if the part dimensions I had on hand were the same as all the PTG heads or if mine was an error on their part which could be corrected was not an unreasonable request, at least in my view. Apparently PTG disagrees. "Send it back" is not what I wanted to hear, but now PTG refuses to answer my inquires about how to fix this problem.

Bottom line: They make nice looking parts and I have no doubt some of them function properly. But the one they sold me is defective and it doesn't work properly; i.e. it's unsatisfactory. Furthermore, they won't tell me if mine is unusual or if all their Savage 6mm (standard) bolt faces are made to the wrong dimension, in which case I would be wasting my time to exchange it. In other words, not only do PTG parts, in this instance anyway, suck, their customer service sucks too.
    I suffered from the same experience with a PTG bolt head I purchased from classifieds in a gun forum. So I made made no argument with anyone. The PTG head was new and I paid top dollar. The measurements of the case head recess, ejector location and extractor location were all off a couple of thousandths here & there. The tolerance stack in this case caused drops. I remedied it with a new Savage head. I later fitted that head with one of my modified extractors and used it on another project. The modified extractors include moving the ball detent hole slightly outward and cutting the extractor under the case lip a smidge deeper. A couple of thousandths goes a long way to help hold on to a case till ejection is cleared.
    Of coarse Savage Heads can be off in tolerance too.

I'm sorry to hear about every ones troubles. I have been happy with them.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The problem with primer cratering and blanking can usually be traced to excessive clearance between the firing pin and bolt head. If it measures more than .002 you'll likely have issues. On my factory new Savage 12FV in 223 that was blanking almost any factory or hand load, that clearance measured .007. I have several drill indexes and just found the drill that best fit the firing pin hole in the bolt head, measured that and measured the firing pin, which BTW is out of round by about a thou. or more.

I was able to purchase several firing pins from Savage and cherry pick one that fit best, eliminating the cratering and blanking issue.

Subsequent to that I had my other 223 bolt head bushed and that really seemed to improve groups.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12