Thread: Losing patience and trust, looking for alternatives

Losing patience and trust, looking for alternatives

Back in early March I ordered a 2015 model Burris XTR II 4-20x50 with the SCR reticle for my .308. At the time I placed the order, it gave a 7-14 day shipping estimate. This scope should be the perfect (less expensive) compliment to a Steiner T5xi 5-25 with the same reticle which I have on my 260 LRP.

I just received notice that the retailer should be receiving inventory of this scope in early June. This really ruins both my patience (intended to use the 308 in a local match, first weekend in June) and my trust in Burris.

If I were to cancel my order and try to find a different scope, what are some good alternatives? I have already passed on the Vortex PST 6-24 and the Bushnell ERS / XRS and the SWFA 5-20 HD ... what else should I consider?

So frustrated.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Basic Member
    why did you pass on those other scopes? The PST is probably as close as you're going to get and is a great scope. Also available with the EBR-2C reticle, which I think is actually better than the SCR. That being said, I'm going to be patient and wait for an SCR to add to my PST.
    Also, there are some retailers who have the SCR XTR IIs. You might try calling around (a lot). Should be able to find one before June.

I had a PST 6-24 once before. Mine was very dark @ max magnification and the eyebox was very unforgiving, so I turned around and sold it as fast as I could. The ERS tunnels at lower magnifications, and the XRS is dark at high magnifications.

The SCR isn't the best reticle ever created, but it sure would be nice to have consistency in both my long range rifles. If I would have had more funds to play with, I probably would have picked two Razor Gen2 scopes, 4.5-27 on the 260 and 3-18 on the 308.

I realize I'm just whining, so thank you all for letting me vent.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Basic Member
    There's definitely something to be said for consistency across scopes.
    My PST also has a somewhat unforgiving eyebox at 24x though I've never noticed it being dark.

Good luck!

Basic Member
    If you were not happy with the PST the next step is night force.

Basic Member
    Look at the Gen I razor 5-20x50. I like it better than the Night Forces I've looked through and it also out shines the PST by a good bit. I'm looking to upgrade mine to a GEN II 4.5-27x56 once funds are settled because the GEN II is just so hard to beat in comparison to all the high end optics I've considered.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Look at the Gen I razor 5-20x50. I like it better than the Night Forces I've looked through and it also out shines the PST by a good bit. I'm looking to upgrade mine to a GEN II 4.5-27x56 once funds are settled because the GEN II is just so hard to beat in comparison to all the high end optics I've considered.
    That is a good one also. Only drawback I have heard from it is the the short focal plane at the higher magnifications. I think I'm going to upgrade one of my 6-24 PST to the razor in FFP then the second one in SFP.

Basic Member
    The eyebox is a little tight, but it really just enforces getting into a solid position for every shot. I run one on my comp rifle that I shoot in tactical matches with all kinds of interesting positions, barriers, etc and it really doesn't slow me down, however I sometimes wish I had a little more magnification for target verification at times.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    The eyebox is a little tight, but it really just enforces getting into a solid position for every shot. I run one on my comp rifle that I shoot in tactical matches with all kinds of interesting positions, barriers, etc and it really doesn't slow me down, however I sometimes wish I had a little more magnification for target verification at times.
    It doesn't bother me much as my rifles are all setup to have a consistent cheek. Practice drills and setup are key. I want to go to one of the tactical matches, just can't seem to get them at the right time

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    If you were not happy with the PST the next step is night force.
    There is a ton of great scopes above the vortex on the way up to the nightforce.