Thread: California Shooter? NorCal?

rawbz36

California Shooter? NorCal?

Hey guys, I am new into shooting long range. Just bought a 111 7mm and would like to go shoot with some experienced shooter to learn the art and about my gun? Anyone around? Thanks

Basic Member
    Where in Nor Cal, I shoot at Sac Valley near Ione, we have monthly tactical matches shooting out to 1K, and bi monthly steel matches out to 500 meters.

rawbz36
    I live in hercules, CA (bay area) about an hour from Sac depending on where in Sac you live. You seem to be shooting far beyond my skill level, but it would be great if you would be willing to help me out/give pointers etc. Would you be open to this? I am a quick learner and want to be confident in my shot when hunting. Thanks.

Rob

Basic Member
    We have lots of guys that come out to shoot from the bay area. I'd be happy to help, there is a public range out to 300 and if you're with a member you can shoot on the steel range out to 500 meters. I'd never shot past 200 yards the first time I went to a match. A friend shot with NCPPRC, aka Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club and I decided I wanted to shoot long range. So I bought a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, a Vortex PST 6-24, a 20moa base and rings and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. Downloaded a ballistics program on my ipad and printed a dope chart based on the speed listed on the box. Two weeks later with one four round mag and totally unprepared for the match, I showed up for a steel match. It was really hard but a lot of fun, and I hit the target the first time I ever shot at 500 meters. And I wasn't last either, I was hooked. There is always a practice the Sat before the Sun long range match on the first weekend of the month. You're always welcome to come watch both or participate. For me there is nothing better than jumping in with both feet. There is practice and a match this weekend. You just need to be there a bit before 8:30 for the safety briefing and signing the waivers. It is a great bunch of people and a lot of great shooters.

rawbz36
    Great! Thank you. I can't make this weekend because of prior commitments, but how often do you go to the range? I would enjoy meeting up and getting some tips. Thanks!

Rob

Basic Member
    Long range matches are the first weekend every month, practice on Sat, match on Sunday. There is often practice on Fridays too. The steel matches are are on the 3rd Sunday of odd number months. We also host a long range clinic each year. And there is also a club rifle that is available for shooters to use for practice and matches. It's a Spartan Precision built 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex Razor scope. The only cost is for the ammo. You get a line coach with you for the day as well. You just need to sign up in advance to use it.

rawbz36
    Great! What the name of the club? I'd like to google it! Yeah, I def dont have the scope for that type of distance (just a Bushnell 3-9x40) I will upgrade when I know I am a better shot

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rawbz36 View Post
    Great! What the name of the club? I'd like to google it! Yeah, I def dont have the scope for that type of distance (just a Bushnell 3-9x40) I will upgrade when I know I am a better shot
    NCPPRC or Nor Cal Practical Precision Rifle Club.