Thread: 223 HB accuracy issue.

Basic Member

223 HB accuracy issue.

just got an axis heavy barrel with accu trigger and started at 25-50-100 25-50yards was dead on with tul and perfecta ammo, got to 100yards and wouldn't hold a group. I switched to hornady v max and wouldn't hit bull for nothing. scopes a bushnell sharpshooter 4-12-40 that came with it.

any thoughts?

Reeseman
    I would check the scope mounts and rings first and make sure they are tight . Did you try to adjust the scope after shooting at the closer distances ? How dirty was the barrel after you moved to 100 yards ?The V Max shoots like a laser in both my Axis and Hog Hunter. Those Bushnell series scopes have been known to have problems in the past .

Basic Member
    Quick question, you stated it had an Accu-Trigger, Scope AND a heavy barrel? If so, where did you purchase? Sounds like an AXIS XP 2 with a heavy barrel and did not know they were even manufactured.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Quick question, you stated it had an Accu-Trigger, Scope AND a heavy barrel? If so, where did you purchase? Sounds like an AXIS XP 2 with a heavy barrel and did not know they were even manufactured.
    yep its correct. axis with accu trigger and 4-12 scope and heavy barrel 350 with rebate from fin feather fur outfitters in Ashland ohio. they might ffl ship it if you call them.

Basic Member
    I agree with Reeseman. I would check the base and ring screws first. Use thread locker on re-assembly.

How did this turn out? I'm considering one of those from Fin Feather Fur myself.

cecil

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cecil View Post
    How did this turn out? I'm considering one of those from Fin Feather Fur myself.

cecil
    she touches holes at 200yards with v max and American eagle varmint. topped with vortex scope. bolt throws smooth now and no hang-ups like before.

So you changed scopes and had better luck?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    yep and changed ammo. it loves hornady v max and American eagle varmint. I shot a shoot n c target and held on the same hole and hit the same hole 3 times at 100yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Not surprising to me. I have never had a "package deal" scope that worked for more than a couple dozen rounds. Just sayin'. Understandably I guess, they tend to be the absolutely cheapest scopes the manufacturer can lay hands on, and they seem to have an amazingly high failure rate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Not surprising to me. I have never had a "package deal" scope that worked for more than a couple dozen rounds. Just sayin'. Understandably I guess, they tend to be the absolutely cheapest scopes the manufacturer can lay hands on, and they seem to have an amazingly high failure rate.
    agreed! when I googled the package scope it retailed for like 45-50bucks. I may try it on the 22lr and see what it does.

Ohihunter, I am looking at one of these in 223 as well. Do we know for certain Savage $50 rebate will apply to the Axis 2? Since the rebate form only specifies Axis Heavy Barrel. Thanks, Jim.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbombo View Post
    Ohihunter, I am looking at one of these in 223 as well. Do we know for certain Savage $50 rebate will apply to the Axis 2? Since the rebate form only specifies Axis Heavy Barrel. Thanks, Jim.
    only applies to the axis hb .... just bought one in .308win - will install a timney trigger, swfa military glass, rockite the stock and float the barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    only applies to the axis hb
    It doesn't apply to any of them now. From the Savage website: "Firearms must be purchased between February 1, 2015 and June 30, 2015"

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by klr View Post
    It doesn't apply to any of them now. From the Savage website: "Firearms must be purchased between February 1, 2015 and June 30, 2015"
    it pays (or doesn't pay) to read the fine print.