Thread: Newbie needs to do his homework

Newbie needs to do his homework

So here we have a newbie doing his first Savage build
    The thought is to build a .308 deer/hog/bear(?) gun on the cheap .....

I inherited 2 rifles as a starting point. Looking up the serial numbers,
    -1 model 110FXP3, fixed mag, synthetic stock, scoped package
    -2 model 11FYCXP3, detachable mag, synthetic stock, youth, scope package
    Both are Wal-Mart cheapo(?) non accutrigger

I have already bought a "hog hunter" take off heavy barrel so I'm into this project for about $150.

My plan was to go with a MDT LSS Chassis [eventually] because I'm still an "AR Guy" at heart.

Speed bump #1 is aligning the rifle sights in the non-original receiver .... the advice I'm hearing is just to remove them.
    Speed bump #2 should I bother starting without an Accutrigger action?
    Speed bump #3 will either of those cheapo synthetic stocks fit a heavy barrel?

Am I trying to "put lipstick on a pig" or should I just go buy a new Hog Hunter?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sport454 View Post
    So here we have a newbie doing his first Savage build
    The thought is to build a .308 deer/hog/bear(?) gun on the cheap .....

I inherited 2 rifles as a starting point. Looking up the serial numbers,
    -1 model 110FXP3, fixed mag, synthetic stock, scoped package
    -2 model 11FYCXP3, detachable mag, synthetic stock, youth, scope package
    Both are Wal-Mart cheapo(?) non accutrigger

I have already bought a "hog hunter" take off heavy barrel so I'm into this project for about $150.

My plan was to go with a MDT LSS Chassis [eventually] because I'm still an "AR Guy" at heart.

Speed bump #1 is aligning the rifle sights in the non-original receiver .... the advice I'm hearing is just to remove them. Just remove them.
    Speed bump #2 should I bother starting without an Accutrigger action? Accutrigger or not the action will serve as a good starting point if you're on a budget.
    Speed bump #3 will either of those cheapo synthetic stocks fit a heavy barrel? Possibly the 110, you might have to shave the channel a bit if you want it free floated.

Am I trying to "put lipstick on a pig" or should I just go buy a new Hog Hunter? You're trying to put lipstick on a pig.
    For how many good factory options there are available, why try to piece something together that may or may not be a nice shooter if you're going to spend the money anyway? Did I miss a caliber? The action will at least give you a good foundation if you wanted to build around it, but I would go aftermarket trigger/barrel/stock at the very least, get yourself some decent optics and call it a day. You should be able to have a very nice rifle and scope for around or under $1k all said and done.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    These guys had 308 hog hunters for $411 yesterday: http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto...tsman/firearms

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    For how many good factory options there are available, why try to piece something together that may or may not be a nice shooter if you're going to spend the money anyway? Did I miss a caliber? The action will at least give you a good foundation if you wanted to build around it, but I would go aftermarket trigger/barrel/stock at the very least, get yourself some decent optics and call it a day. You should be able to have a very nice rifle and scope for around or under $1k all said and done.
    WTB thanks for the input. I have a lot to learn & education is expensive!
    I won't say "money is no object". This is a hobby & I like to tinker but its not like I'm going to go hungry or be out on the street if I buy/build another gun :)
    The two Savages I inherited are both .243
    I'm still figuring out the different models.
    I also have a machine shop ... manual, no CNC (yet) so that helps my desire to tinker.
    Thanks again

BarrelNuts
    I'm in agreement with WTB...

You have the action, go have a barrel done to your specs (weight, contour, caliber, length, etc.), pick out a stock from boyds, stocky's, or any number of other vendors... and for a pretty reasonable price you can usually build something pretty awesome that is yours; not what someone in a factory think tank thinks you should have.

The only limiting factor I think you may run into is if the actions are bottom bolt release then you will be limited on stock options; but other than that the world is your oyster.

With the donor action being in .243 you can keep the rifle as a .243 or go .308, .260, 7mm-08, 338 Fed, .358 Win etc. without having to change the bolt head out. Like I said all the choices available mean one thing:

You have two actions.... you need to build TWO RIFLES!