Thread: think i ruined my new axis hb

Basic Member

think i ruined my new axis hb

just got an axis 2 xp heavy barrel and shot some tull ammo out of it and the bolt wouldn't open to it had to be slammed open. I hear the lacquer in the case melts the case on the barrel. the gun came with a cheap scope and I cant get the gun to group for nothing. its a 223 btw. could it be the scope or the gun after shooting that ammo?

Basic Member
    I doubt you ruined the rifle. Try some better ammo

Basic Member
    Any good bore cleaner should get lacquer off. The tul ammo even brass maxx is to be avoided. Most likely you had a hot round.

I don't believe the "lacquer in the chamber" rap that steel ammo gets. It's dirty, typically inaccurate, and the bimetal jackets of the bullets with which steel cases are typically loaded will wear a barrel faster than copper jackets. After a cleaning and some good ammo, you should be better able to assess the accuracy problem.

robertb6112
    I shot tula .223 out of my axis and the accuracy was pretty good. I only had problems opening the bolt with three rounds. I used up the box of 20 just to see how it ran through the gun.

Basic Member
    American Eagle and Federal Premium bulk pack are decent budget rounds.

Can usually get under an 1"@100. Just the time saved cleaning is worth the extra .10 a round.

Tul works, is reasonably accurate but the rate of hot rounds and the teflon like coating sticking places like the boltface, extractor claw and ejector. Is a pita!

Gabe1972
    Stay away from that bi-metal junk like Tulammo. Not only does the case not expand to fill the breech like brass cases do, but even worse, the rounds are jacketed in steel. A soft steel, but steel nonetheless. Shooting steel jacketed bullets down a steel rifled barrel does not a good idea make. They've been shown to wear the rifling faster, especially in semi automatics. Also, Savage themselves recommend against using bi-metal ammo. This type of ammo is definitely NOT worth the few dollars saved per box.

Wears faster with tula

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

Read for yourself and decide

Basic Member

Cleaning afterusing Tul Ammo

a easy way to clean all the junk tul ammo leaves behind is to get a can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner just make sure you oil it really well.... By the way denatured alcohol will do the trick to had a 7.62x54R and used both to clean it
    Last edited by vet2260; 06-22-2015 at 07:53 PM.