Thread: Sharp Shooter Supply.

Team Savage

Thumbs Up Sharp Shooter Supply.

For all you folks that are always downing Fred and Lisa at Sharp Shooter Supply, LISTEN UP!!!

Had issues with my Model 12 left hand action. Replaced the bolt head for my 17 VHA build and ran into problems.
    I have swapped bolt heads on my other Savage rigs and this one too, numerous times, with NO PROBLEMS. This time I had problems. For some reason when I put it back together, the bolt wouldn't stay cocked. Close the bolt and the firing pin would fall as the bolt closed. WTF??? Tried everything I could think of. Pretty simple unit but for the life of me, I couldn't get it to work. (sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees) I was thinking it might be in the trigger adjustment but try as I may, nothing worked to get the problem corrected.
    So, rather than go after it with a Ford tool (big *&#@& hammer) I figured it best to send it to SSS and have it checked out. It had a T&T job not too long ago so not being too sure if that could be some of the problem, I sent it off.
    Come to find out, I had a Senior Moment and didn't put it back together the proper way. Real simple unit but leave it to me to screw it up.
    Lisa and Fred both got to dig at me a bit for getting myself in a fix but it was worth it to have it repaired by someone that knew what they are doing.
    They got it in a few days after I shipped it, fixed it and had it back to me in less than a week. Even with the ration of crap they gave me for not seeing my mistake, it was accepted and well worth it. Thanks Fred and Lisa.
    Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    for education purposes, what did you do wrong?

Team Savage
    I'am still wondering about that. Seems that I had the bolt body 180* out??? Just went and checked and I see where I had the cocking "button" going into the action on the left side (It's a left hand action) where it should have been on the right where it is now. Just wasn't paying that much attention at the time. And, thinking "that" won't ever be happening again.

Team Savage
    Yep , we all mess up

Basic Member
    Thanks.
    I've made simular errors. I can't spot the problem regardless how much I look. I call it "self correcting", even though it's wrong it looks right.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Yep , we all mess up

Yep. Friday I was putting new tires on my utility trailer. Its and older 70s era I rebuilt and has wheel lug bolts instead of nuts. I pulled the right tire-wheel but had trouble with the left, I couldn't loosen the bolts to save my life even with a 18" 1/2 breaker bar. I know I didn't tighten them that hard last year when I had that wheel off.

I was almost ready to fire up the compressor and the impact wrench when I noticed the "L" on top of the bolt heads. The "L" means they're "Lefty tighty, rightly losey"!

DUH!!!!!!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    I've had the same issue with my tools. Everything in it's place. And if it's not where it's suppose to be, you start loking. Look for something and for the life of me, I couldn't see it. Call one of the other guys over and say "find my wrench"!! Within seconds, they see it. Another "Can't see the forest for the trees" thing.
    And I'am thinking it has something to do with doing the same thing over and over so many times, you don't ever think about it, you just do it. And in this case, we're playing with firearms??? Time to back off a bit and get a better look at things. And I can see where problems can come up when it comes to reloading ammo. Time to step back and start all over again.
    They need classes for "everybody" that's been doing something for so long that they don't even think about it, they just do it. Good way to head off any problems before they come up. And it's the simple things that cause problems.

Basic Member
    I'll tell you another brain fart I had. Maw and I were going somewhere but I couldn't find my truck keys, I ran around everywhere look'n for'm. After awhile Maw laughed, " Ya old goat, look at the coffee cup you're hold'n". Yep there they wuz, hanging on my finger with the cup!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    Or, look for your glasses. They're on your head. (DUH!!!) Sometimes it's tough getting old!

Know EXACTLY what that's like, how many times do you drive to work, and can't remember weather the lites, that you know you went thru, were green or red?

kiwi98j
    My son calls it "some" heizmer's disease

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Or, look for your glasses. They're on your head. (DUH!!!) Sometimes it's tough getting old!
    He!!, I do that ALL the time!