Thread: Getting sick of waiting!!!!!

Basic Member

Getting sick of waiting!!!!!

Can't get a 10 fcp-sr locally to save my life, should I just get an 11 fcns and thread the barrel?
    Last edited by powderburnz; 03-26-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Basic Member
    Bump

Basic Member
    I have heard a lot of good things about the model 10 fcp-sr and I'm thinking the model 11 fcns is not a acquit substitute. At least not for me.
    So I guess I'm saying I would wait.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I have heard a lot of good things about the model 10 fcp-sr and I'm thinking the model 11 fcns is not a acquit substitute. At least not for me.
    So I guess I'm saying I would wait.
    The only real difference is the heavy barrel. If I'm at the range doing 3 shot groups say 30 seconds between shots how would the barrel act?

A sporter barrel isn't big enough at the muzzle to thread for a suppressor or brake. Most are 0.550" at the muzzle, with magnum sporters being slightly larger.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    A sporter barrel isn't big enough at the muzzle to thread for a suppressor or brake. Most are 0.550" at the muzzle, with magnum sporters being slightly larger.
    Would a sporter barrel handle 3 shots in 3-4 minutes without throwing flyers?

Don't see why not, my .25-06 never had a problem shooting nice small 3-shot groups.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Do I really need the fcp? What's your opinion? New to long range shooting, I'd like to do this right the first time.

Basic Member
    Not to be flippant, but it might. Might not.
    My A-bolt 30-06 will only handle 2 shots without starting to walk off the paper with every successive shot. My Savage 260 goes haywire after 4. The Savage 25-06 is about 2-3. It's not an absolute, and it's not necessarily about the cartridge or caliber.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Not to be flippant, but it might. Might not.
    My A-bolt 30-06 will only handle 2 shots without starting to walk off the paper with every successive shot. My Savage 260 goes haywire after 4. The Savage 25-06 is about 2-3. It's not an absolute, and it's not necessarily about the cartridge or caliber.
    This decision is driving me nuts, you guys are a lot of help, I appreciate it. I don't have a ton of money to throw around so I want to make good fiscal decisions here. I know I can get into long range without going much over 1200. I'll be darned if I know why Savage would put the fcp on the web site and in the catalogs but no one can get it.

greyghost
    Still waiting for mine also, Was told April so I hope that holds true, It is probably worth the wait, Hope so, I waited 6mo for my SIG 716 DMR and it was well worth it.

Basic Member
    Is one as good as another, opinions vary. One things for sure, if you want the Model 10 fcp-sr then do not settle for anything less (aka other model). I'm assuming you chose the 10 fcp-sr for a reason so stay with that decision and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    Can't get a 10 fcp-sr locally to save my life, should I just get an 11 fcns and thread the barrel?
    So order a 10 FCP-SR. It'll be cheaper/faster to do that than to order the wrong gun and then pay/wait to have the barrel threaded.

Basic Member
    if you don't get the gun you really want you won't be happy with a "make do"! i would wait and keep looking.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    I just got off the phone with savage earlier. They said 2 weeks with improved magazine. Little stores will still have a hard time getting them he said. He also said they have a "special" relationship with cabelas and will satisfy them first. Not fair, I want to do business with my little sport shop.

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnz View Post
    They said 2 weeks with improved magazine...
    What's "improved" about the magazine? Is it really different, or are they just doing better QC?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    What's "improved" about the magazine? Is it really different, or are they just doing better QC?
    Not sure, never asked and he never said. Lots of troubles with 8,9 and 10 feeding.

I do believe that savage put there on/off muzzle brake on sporter rifles. So it is possible but not the greatest idea being so thin.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

bandj524
    I have a new 10FCP-SR and it is back at savage as we speak (read post 10FCP-sr problem) my two problems were mag not holding all 10 rounds as soon as you put the 10th round in and let go of it (10th round) would pop out of the magazine. the other problem is explained in the post noted above. But CS has been great they are taking care of the rifle and I was assured that it would not come back until it was 100%. Also be careful about buying one from Cabelas there is another post about their 10fcp-sr rifles not being the accu stock version just having the regular tuperware stock.

Basic Member
    "I" would not be happy with either. So I would do what I have always done. Find a Stevens 200, break it down to bare action, then build it back up to exactly what I want. I don't think I have ever put more than $880 in a build(not counting scope), but that includes the doner rifle. #1, there's not a factory stock out there that suits me, and a factory barrel is always a toss up?

The "Barrel Nut" is what it is all about! JMHO! :-))

Just curious Conch when you get a stevens action is there anything you do to it? Basically to you run it the way you pulled it off or do you clean up machining?
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    So far, I have not done anything special. The Steven 200 action is the same as the Savage 10, but maybe a little rougher finish and lesser blue job. Since the Stevens 200 is discontinued, you might look for a Savage 11 for your doner rifle. The beauty of the Savage system, to me, is the floating bolt head, and of course, the Barrel Nut.

As has been suggested by some very knowledgeable members here, I would not bother to have a Savage action trued. If I wanted to take it to a higher level, I would buy an aftermarket target action. The one that appeals to me is the Shilen. But it's $1,000, and my shooting skills can't justify that kind of expense.

Most of us on here started out with factory rifles, only to find they didn't provide to all of our needs. Along the way, we got "bitten by the bug", and here we are. You my as well dive in right now, it's probably just a matter of time anyway! :-))

Good Luck...Good Shooting!... Jim

bandj524
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    My magazine had 2 problems first was it didn't feed correctly and second it would not hold all 10 rounds if you put the tenth round in it would pop back out as soon as you let go of it. savage sent me a new and improved mag and it is very hard to get the 10th round in but it stays in the mag. cant tell you how it feeds because savage has my rifle for warranty work we shall see when I get it back.