Thread: 338 rum and 338 edge barrels

Basic Member

338 rum and 338 edge barrels

On a savage can you switch from one to the other just by adjusting your headspacing? Surprisingly I couldn't find anything on line.

Team Savage
    No.

The problem you're going to have is that the .090" difference in length between the two cartridges will change your protrusion at the bolt head and you may have issues with both firing pin strikes and extraction.
    Not a good combination.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Or the .090" of the brass that is not in the chamber or the bolt head.

If you have those two barrels yes, just reset headspace on whichever barrel you are using at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelBurner View Post
    If you have those two barrels yes, just reset headspace on whichever barrel you are using at the time.
    If you have both barrels, by all means,YES.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thanks, I wasn't sure. I was hoping I could use one barrel and just adjust headspacing. How I have to figure out what I want more. Shell capacity or being able to hold multiple bullets.

D.ID
    Repeaters are overrated.
    Long range bullets will be pushing the limit of even a modified long action savage magazine.
    If your painting yourself into a corner where it becomes a single shot anyway........might as well have the horsepower.
    Besides 338 edge chamber reamers are more common and 300 RUM brass for the edge is easier to get and has a better variety of manufacturers than the 338 RUM.
    If you go edge you won't regret it.
    I've made three and they ended up to be the favorite three of all my rifles..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Repeaters are overrated.
    Long range bullets will be pushing the limit of even a modified long action savage magazine.
    If your painting yourself into a corner where it becomes a single shot anyway........might as well have the horsepower.
    Besides 338 edge chamber reamers are more common and 300 RUM brass for the edge is easier to get and has a better variety of manufacturers than the 338 RUM.
    If you go edge you won't regret it.
    I've made three and they ended up to be the favorite three of all my rifles..

If I go edge I will use a short action I have, still considering a 338 rum, since I don't think the savage can handle a 338-378.

Quote Originally Posted by baranx4 View Post
    If I go edge I will use a short action I have, still considering a 338 rum, since I don't think the savage can handle a 338-378.
    Short action??? As long of a round as the edge is, wouldn't you have to pull the bolt each time to load a round and eject the brass? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd trade the short action for a long action if it were me. Just my opinion though.

D.ID
    I have heard (not confirmed) that a short action will let you chamber a loaded edge cartridge and eject an empty case. You would definitely need to pull the bolt to extract a loaded round.