Thread: boys first rifle, teenager sold it, grown up needs it back

Michaelanglin198724

boys first rifle, teenager sold it, grown up needs it back

I need help guys. I'm going to say around 2000 I got my first hunting rifle from my dad for Christmas. Long story short later on in life times got tough I sold that rifle, 3 years later my dad passes away. Now I'm 29, got a good job, finally comfortable/ settled down in life. I keep looking back and wishing I could stop my younger self from selling that rifle. I would give ANYTHING to have it back. I know I can't get that exact rifle back but I'm trying to find one exactly like it. Problem is I can't remember much about it. What I do remember- I think it was around 2000, not positive though. I know it was a Savage in 270. Wood stock. Nikon scope. Bull barrel. It was a top loader not a detachable box, which is what is confusing because all I can find on savage website is detachable box, and I'm almost posotive mine was a top loader. Any help on a model number or ANYTHING, is greatly appreciated. I made a huge mistake when I sold that gun, I miss it and my dad everyday. This is literally keeping me up nights. I'm a man...but I'm **** near tearing up just writing this. I can't change what I did as a young dumb kid, but I can try to make it right now.

Basic Member
    Good luck. They are out there armslist, gunbroker or drive around to local shops. The "hunt" can be a lot of fun and sadly addictive!

Do some research. I would limit my search to slightly newer center feed models in the same wood. Just seem to have less feeding issues.

Welcome!

And I'll move this where it'll get more traffic.....
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Good Luck on your search an welcome to the site

What caliber was it, are you sure it was plain wood or walnut with checkering, are you sure it was a bull barrel or varmint barrel. Did it have sights on the barrel or just drilled and tapped for a scope only. I think what you had was a varminter and I cant find the exact model as long calibers like .270 and 30-06 in heavy barrels. They made them but rare.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Michaelanglin198724
    Thanks a lot for everyone's input. The only things I know for sure is it was a savage, it was .270, top loader, not detachable box. The stock wasn't just flat wood, I do remember it having checkering. I really don't think the barrel had any sights on it. Earlier I said it was a Nikon scope but after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it was actually a Simmons. I know the rifle was bought new with that scope already installed from savage, idk if that matters in the model number or not. I know it was purchased around the year 2000. Does anyone know when savage stopped producing top loaders and went to detachable box? I think that would narrow my search some. I'm just wanting to get as close to that model gun as I can. Thanks again everyone!

Basic Member
    They still make both "top loaders" and detachable box mags.

"Top loaders" are more often referred to around here and other sources as "Blind Mag".

Most Savages built at that time were blind mag.
    Well, I don't know that, but they are certainly not rare. Maybe half of all produced then were blind mag. You should have no problem finding one like it out there.

The model number for a .270 is a 110 long action, stagger feed. They can still be found used at reasonable prices. The most common ones will most likely have the factory plastic stock but that can be replaced with a good laminate stock from Boyd's.

Basic Member
    Do you remember anything about who you sold it too? I'm guessing that rifle could have been sold on GB or something but maybe retracing steps could find your exact rifle... Could you find any documentation on it? Maybe in your dad's stuff? Im really sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you find what you are looking for.

check this out:
    http://www.armslist.com/posts/367718...0--270-cal-win

Sounds like a basic Model 110 XP package rifle with sporter barrel to me. Equivalent model today would be the 110 Trophy Hunter XP, but they feature a detachable magazine rather than a blind magazine. Savage has all but eliminated the basic "Hunter Series" from their line-up in recent years so you can't even get a wood stock/blind mag base model anymore.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    My local gun shop has 7 of those in various calibers on the used gun rack. One is a .270 with rifle sites. Some are long actions, could easily change to .270.