Thread: 111 FCXP3 available stocks? HELP!

rawbz36

111 FCXP3 available stocks? HELP!

Hey Guys! New to the forum and accidentally posted this on the "general" post. I am not seeing it belongs here. I am purchasing a 111FCXP3 7mm Rem Mag (long action) this weekend and have read a lot of reviews that the gun shoots great, but that the stock is light and give the shoulder a beatin'. I am wondering about aftermarket stocks? Advice on where to look? what would be good? great? what to avoid? Thanks.
    Rob

Team Savage
    Welcome. Depends on what you want to spend. Start with a walnut or laminated Boyd's Gunstock and have them install a 1" recoil pad. The extra weight and the better recoil pad will help tame some recoil on that 7mm RM beast. Look through the post on this site and you will find lots of opinions on stocks.

rawbz36
    Great thank you! I have looked on Boyd's but when it asks the Specs on the gun, I am not sure what I should be filling in. Is the gun I am looking to buy have a bottom/top/side bolt?release? Boyd's has an option to select 111 in the three difference bolt release and the option 11 FCXP in bottom, but my rifle is a 111 FCXP which is not an option to select when trying to find a stock? Can you clarify any of this for me? Thanks

Team Savage
    We will need a little more information to give you the correct aftermarket stock specifications. The Savage 111 FCXP3 is a budget model that has gone through some changes over the years.

I assume the stock has a blind magazine box? Is it a centerfeed magazine (magazine box stays in stock when removed) or a staggerfeed magazine box (attached to the action when stock removed). Hopefully, the stock does not have a hole and button on the side to release the magazine? Is the bolt release on the top side of the action or located at the front of the trigger guard? Is the rear of the action flat on top or rounded?

rawbz36
    Magazine is detachable 4 round mag, staggerfeed magazine box, and bolt release is located near the safety . Not sure about the action being flat or rounded. I dont have it with me right now. Does that help? Thanks !

Team Savage
    How do you release the magazine? Is there a button on the side of the stock? Sounds like an older Savage 111 LA flat back with a top bolt release, stagger feed, drop box magazine. Under the rear scope base the receiver is flat and not rounded like under the front scope base. If that is the case, no one makes an aftermarket stock for it.

If the underside of the action has slits milled to attach the lips of a LA, staggerfeed magazine box, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451...ProductFinding, you could convert to a top loader using a Savage LA (110, 111) stock, top bolt release, staggerfeed, blind magazine well. The newer Savage LA, centerfeed, DBM stocks will not work with these older staggerfeed actions.
    Last edited by jpdown; 04-26-2015 at 08:02 PM.

rawbz36
    Thanks for the info. According to the serial number the gun was made in Jan 2011 if that helps at all. I am really new to bolt action so some of this stuff is completely foreign to me!

rawbz36
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    How do you release the magazine? Is there a button on the side of the stock? Sounds like an older Savage 111 LA flat back with a top bolt release, stagger feed, drop box magazine. Under the rear scope base the receiver is flat and not rounded like under the front scope base. If that is the case, no one makes an aftermarket stock for it.

If the underside of the action has slits milled to attach the lips of a LA, staggerfeed magazine box, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451...ProductFinding, you could convert to a top loader using a Savage LA (110, 111) stock, top bolt release, staggerfeed, blind magazine well. The newer Savage LA, centerfeed, DBM stocks will not work with these older staggerfeed actions.
    The mag is released from underneath (right in front the magazine), has a staggerfeed, drop box mag, and the receiver is completely rounded Also the bolt release is on top (side release)
    Last edited by rawbz36; 04-26-2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added info

Choose a Boyd's made for a 111, top bolt release, detachable bottom magazine. They have several models to fit your particular rifle. If your magazine surround is molded into the stock, you'll also need a factory magazine surround.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

rawbz36
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Choose a Boyd's made for a 111, top bolt release, detachable bottom magazine. They have several models to fit your particular rifle. If your magazine surround is molded into the stock, you'll also need a factory magazine surround.
    Ok Thanks I will look into it. How come "top bolt release" even though it has a side bolt release? just curious. trying to figure out this gun as much as I can. Any advice will help! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rawbz36 View Post
    Ok Thanks I will look into it. How come "top bolt release" even though it has a side bolt release? just curious. trying to figure out this gun as much as I can. Any advice will help! Thanks
    It's either a top bolt release or a bottom bolt release. There's no "side" bolt release in the Savage 10/110 series.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    "Top" bolt release = "side" bolt release

The only other type of bolt release is "bottom" bolt release. If yours was "bottom" you would understand... the bottom bolt release is built into the trigger guard and slides backwards and forwards.

Yours is on the "side" of the action AND on "top" of the stock. It is pushed down to release the bolt. Thus, "side" bolt release is the same as "top". Samo-Samo.

rawbz36
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    "Top" bolt release = "side" bolt release

The only other type of bolt release is "bottom" bolt release. If yours was "bottom" you would understand... the bottom bolt release is built into the trigger guard and slides backwards and forwards.

Yours is on the "side" of the action AND on "top" of the stock. It is pushed down to release the bolt. Thus, "side" bolt release is the same as "top". Samo-Samo.

Oh ok Thanks! For your help! In your opinion/experience is the factory stock flimsy or decent for a beginner hunter? Also, would I need to buy an extra parts for the Boyd's stock or does it fit like a glove? and which style of stock do you recommend for deer hunting?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by rawbz36 View Post
    The mag is released from underneath (right in front the magazine), has a staggerfeed, drop box mag, and the receiver is completely rounded Also the bolt release is on top (side release)
    Then you must have a Savage LA, CF, DBM with top/side bolt release. So You will need a a Savage LA, CF stock inletted for a DBM and top/side bolt release. If the DBM frame assembly (surround) is molded into the stock, you will need to get the frame assembly. But I don't think Savage started molding the frame assembly into their plastic stocks until after 2012.

Basic Member
    I walk a lot when deer hunting, so the lighter the better for me. I tried with a scoped AR, what a workout!

Quote Originally Posted by pdcullen View Post
    I walk a lot when deer hunting, so the lighter the better for me. I tried with a scoped AR, what a workout!
    No kidding! I built this sweet Vltor 6.8 thinking it'd be the perfect deer weapon for my neck of the woods. Carried it one time and went back to the 600 Remington.

rawbz36
    Hahaha. Good to know. I guess I will shoot it and depending how I feel and how accurate it is maybe I will just stick with the synthetic. Thanks for the help fellas!

Rob
    Last edited by thomae; 05-25-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Team Savage
    +1. The factory stock is the lightest your going to find. Check to make sure the barrel is not touching the stock. Also check around the rear tang (safety area) to make sure it is not touching. Get yourself a can of Krylon webbing paint and spray the stock. Everyone will think it's a fine custom stock. Lol.