Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pillars........

Bodydub

Ok question. I know the trigger guard will hold the rear of the action when I tighten the bolt. But what about the front? A washer will just keep the bolt head from sinking in the lamp rod and not keep the front of the action secured......

Basic Member
    Proper torque should be adequate. No washer needed. In fact I wouldn't use a washer.

Bodydub
    So with no washer the only thing holding the front of the action and pillar is the epoxy??

Basic Member
    It is very strong. The washer would be a pita and could cause issues itself.

Bodydub
    Ok thank you......So with a 1/2" lamp rod I should drill it out to a 3/8" hole???

Basic Member
    3/8 rod...1/2" hole?

Basic Member
    A tip I got on the rimfire central forum is to take a small dremel cutter and cut a circular notch in the middle of the hole drilled out for the pillar. Gives the epoxy a nice secure hold.

Bodydub
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    3/8 rod...1/2" hole?
    Lol. Yeah sorry, I was at work and in a hurry. The lamp rod I have is 3/8.....

22BVGord
    Thanks again Six. I managed to find some 1/4" x 28 bolts at a local hardware - $.40 ea - and have removed the 6M bolt. Indeed, the 1/4" inch one is a nice tight fit. Didn't shoot it with the 6M bolt in and went very carefully so luckily, I didn't damage the threads of the receiver or the trigger assembly.

With the pillar and the bolt being sized, the action is now functioning 100%. I made very sure the top of the bolt was not intruding into the bottom of the bolt housing but catching enough thread so the action bolt can be tightened down very firmly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22BVGord View Post
    While checking out my rifle after doing pillars/putting into a Boyd's stock and doing dry firing, I found that when I tightened down the action screws firmly (not anywhere near 35 "/lbs), cycled the bolt, and then pressed down hard on the safety tang - the firing pin fired. Not good. The action seems to be seated well, and the trigger functions as it should and the tang safety is working fine for off/on switches, yet there is something very wrong. When tightened very firmly, the tang safety locks up and won't move either way.

Anyone else running into this, and if so - what seemed to be a fix?
    This happened to me.. At the very rear of the stock on the inside where the the trigger guard screw protrudes a tiny bit of material was sticking up and contacting the trigger adjustment spring. Two seconds with a chisel took care of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12