Some time ago I read an article by James Calhoun, about reduced loads for 223 using Blue Dot powder. This struck a cord with me, as I wanted a rifle that wouldn't tear gaping holes in fox pelts. I hunt mostly thick cover but occasionally need to reach out several hundred yards for coyotes. According to my wife, I couldn't afford a dedicated rifle for each.

I also wanted a rifle light and compact. I pack a 12 lb. Model 12 all deer season, I want to travel light for predator season. I picked up an older Model 11 action with a 3 screw trigger in it. A $40 order from Midway later, I had the bolt head and magazine box to convert it to 223. Devin at SinArms did an excellent job cutting a factory barrel down to 18" (forgive me Hammer for I have sinned) and recrowned it.

To reduce shine and to make the rig more weather resistant, I Cerama Coated the barreled action.

I figured that the tupperware stock would be about as light as I could find, so I sanded it down and started playing with camo patterns. I finally settled on a sponged on pattern that looks somewhat like army acupat.

Here's what I ended up with: Overall length 37 3/4" Weight 6 1/4 lb. with a Bushnell Legend 2 X 7 Scope.

[img width=600 height=386]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/brentwin/001.jpg[/img]

I have been playing with the Blue Dot and 34-45gr. bullets and judging by recoil and noise I have loads that approximately equal 22LR, 22WMR, 22 Hornet and 221 Fireball. As soon as I can lay my hands on a chrony I will post more about the loads.

My plan is to use this rifle for squirrels, fox, bobcat, coyote and possibly use it for thinning some does this fall. The last two will be with full power 223 loads. 60 gr. VMAX's for the coyotes and 62 gr. TSX's on the does.