Thread: Lesson Learned

Basic Member

Thumbs Up Lesson Learned

I've been chasing my tail on accuracy since last October. Two new scopes, hundreds of rounds, most were handloads of various bullet weights and charges. Can't find the secret that makes my Savage happy. Three days ago I was at the range to try my latest set of handloads to see if I found the magic. I did not. There were two other guys there, one with an AR who had a bunch of factory reloads to shoot. He has a nice scope on the AR but was only able to shoot 3 1/2 inch groups, more like a pattern than a group. The other guy handed him 10 of his handloads and told him to give them a try. Keep in mind the AR only has a 16 inch barrel. I was watching through a VERY nice NiteForce spotting scope or I never would have believed my own eyes. The next 4 rounds went through the SAME HOLE!! I witnessed the hole get SLIGHTLY larger with each shot but not much. The shooter was convinced that he was missing because his scope was not as good as the spotting scope that I was looking through. So, he took aim at another bullseye on the same target and hit at virtually the SAME POI!!!

The guy who handed him the reloads is VERY good at what he does. He pays very close attention to detail. He sizes and trims all of his brass, cleans it with a sonic clearner and cleans out the primer pockets and does not mix brass types. He double weighs ALL of his charges and all of his rifles shoot the same way the AR did.

He is also a self described "clean freak" when it comes to his own rifle barrels. He scrubs them out after only 20 or 30 shots.

He has offered to help me with my Savage and needless to say, I'm looking forward to the experience. I found a teacher.

Maybe you did, maybe you didn't.
    If he's persistent enough, he'll find what works in your rifle.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    We are going to start with that. We are going to scrub the barrel absolutely squeaky clean. Then he's going to lap the rings and reseat the scope and we are going to torque both action screws to spec. Then he is going to show me how to reload the way he does it and we will go to the range. If that Model 10 still does not shoot I'm going to sell it and get another rifle.

Sounds good. An open mind is a Brite mind. Life's all about living and learning. I'm almost positive that once he finds you're barrels sweet spot, you will have learned a wealth full of knowledge.

Savages are like women at a Mardi Gras parade. They like it dirty. All of my savages shoot better dirty than clean. Not saying that fouling may not be your problem but I usually don't clean until accuracy falls off somewhere around 150 - 200 rounds depending on caliber.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Savages are like women at a Mardi Gras parade. They like it dirty. All of my savages shoot better dirty than clean. Not saying that fouling may not be your problem but I usually don't clean until accuracy falls off somewhere around 150 - 200 rounds depending on caliber.
    ^^^this right here...i just cleaned my 260 barrel(shilen select match)to metal...it took 20 rounds before it shot groups again and 35 rounds before the groups were back to a ragged hole...this was after 200 rounds next cleaning wont be until accuracy goes south...im thinking 500 or so.

Yep, copper on the rifling is my best friend ,just have to remind myself of just that before I go to grad my cleaning rod's.

Why not just get rid of the factory barrel and change the barrel to a criterion or shilin , mcgowen and change the stock if it is Tupperware and change the trigger if it sucks for some reason. Then you have an instant shooter that isn't finicky like a kid at mcdonalds.LOL
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    ^^^this right here...i just cleaned my 260 barrel(shilen select match)to metal...it took 20 rounds before it shot groups again and 35 rounds before the groups were back to a ragged hole...this was after 200 rounds next cleaning wont be until accuracy goes south...im thinking 500 or so.
    Yep...My LRP 6.5 Creed. Takes 20 to 30 rounds before it shoots good. I also clean @ 500 rounds.

Basic Member
    I don't clean my barrels until accuracy falls off. When I do clean, I usually use Hoppe's No 9 oil. I just want to get the fouling out, I leave the copper in. Shoots better that way.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I don't clean my barrels until accuracy falls off. When I do clean, I usually use Hoppe's No 9 oil. I just want to get the fouling out, I leave the copper in. Shoots better that way.
    +1!

Basic Member
    I'm researching barrels now. This rifle has a 22 inch sporter barrel on it with a walnut stock. I'm thinking about a 26 inch varmint barrel. Does anyone know if the two screw action of this model 10 will provide enough support for that much steel? I've had the action bedded so it fits in nice and snug. I've also installed a Savage target spring and like the trigger and I used a Dremmel tool and floated the tang. If I can sand out enough wood to make room for the larger diameter varmint barrel that may be the way to go.

Friends have suggested that I sell the gun and get one that can shoot but I can't do that in good conscious and stick another guy with this nightmare. I'm also thinking about contacting Savage to see if they can do anything for me.

Basic Member
    Well, I contacted McGowan Barrels in Montana today and started the process to order a barrel. I'm going with a 26 inch varmint barrel with a 1-7 twist. This light sporter barrel just is not cutting it.

Basic Member
    is this a 243 or a 223? If it's a twist 243 that is what I run and mine shoots 105 Berger Hybrids and 115 DTACS very well. I'm getting 2950fps with the 115's from a 27in barrel using only 40grs of H100V.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    is this a 243 or a 223? If it's a twist 243 that is what I run and mine shoots 105 Berger Hybrids and 115 DTACS very well. I'm getting 2950fps with the 115's from a 27in barrel using only 40grs of H100V.
    It is a .223. I'm actually torn between a 7 or an 8 twist. Any thoughts?

Basic Member
    I like to stay with heavier high BC bullets for caliber, but that's because of the style of shooting I do, but you really only need a 7 twist for like 90gr Berger VLD's in a 223. You can run 55-77gr Match bullets in a 9 twist.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I like to stay with heavier high BC bullets for caliber, but that's because of the style of shooting I do, but you really only need a 7 twist for like 90gr Berger VLD's in a 223. You can run 55-77gr Match bullets in a 9 twist.
    So, a 9 twist from a 26 inch tube should do nicely for either 55 gr Vmax or 75 gr Amax?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    So, a 9 twist from a 26 inch tube should do nicely for either 55 gr Vmax or 75 gr Amax?
    I think you'll find your answer on this page.

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.HTML