Thread: Need help identifying gun and finding stock

kkysar

Need help identifying gun and finding stock

My father passed many years ago and I inherited his Savage 30-06. I remember it had a beautiful stock on it and my mother said the gun got drop and the stock broke so he had a very inexpensive aftermarket stock put on it. It looks terrible and I would like replace it and put a much nicer scope on it. The rifle (barrel, action, etc) is in great shape. Can somebody tell me how old it is and what kind it is (ie....is it a 10, 110, etc) and places I could go for a stock? The only serial number I can find without pulling the stock off is 49588.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    First, welcome. Could you tell us more and some photos would help. For example, if it has the original barrel it'll be stamped 110 or 110E, etc. It should be a triple digit model number of some type where it's a 30-06. Savage uses two digits for short action calibers for the recent past anyway.

Photos will help the most. With that old of a serial number, I'm guessing it's old enough to have the flat back receiver.

Finding a stock shouldn't be too hard.

kkysar
    Thanks for the quick response. I just snapped a some pics.....but cannot figure out how to attach them. The "Insert Image" icon only opens a dialog box for linking a URL based pic and not one on my hard drive, since I don't have a Facebook I'm not sure how to show the pic. I missed a spot under the scope and it does Model 110 (and nothing else except the patent number).

It is pretty flat on the backside of the bolt (like a large flat knurled knob)
    http://1drv.ms/1P6kz6u
    Sorry for my inability to get the pics posted **UPDATE...forgot I had a Onedrive....trying to post pic now**
    Last edited by kkysar; 04-20-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Figured out how to post pic

Could have either been a 110-MC or a 110-E.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Again, the barrel doesn't have stamping on it. That's where the model number usually is at. The serial # will be on the receiver, however.

kkysar
    http://1drv.ms/1D8u51v

Does this link work to show you the gun and stampings (with serial number)?

here you go.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

kkysar
    Thank you! Again....sorry for my inability to figure out how to post a simple pic.

It was made in 1964 so any long action stock from Boyds will fit as long as the screw spacing from Boyds is 5.062 c-c. Also make sure it's for a sporter barrel and not a varmint barrel and a blind box mag well.

See if you can find a date code somewhere on the barrel, probably under the front bell of that scope somewhere. It's a small oval with a number and a letter stamped inside of it but I'm fairly certain it's a 64.

Whoa there Joe!

Newer stocks won't work on this rifle as it's a pre-1966 when they made the change to the current trigger and bolt configurations. The thickness of the stock (top to bottom) in the trigger area is thinner on these older guns than on the 1966 and newer, and if you put a newer style stock on it the trigger won't protrude through as much as it should.

As for where to find a replacement that will fit these older triggers, aside from finding one at a gun show your guess would be as good as mine as they were only made from 1958-65.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Talking

Was I at least right about the hole spacing? Lol.

I should stay in the vintage section I guess.

kkysar
    Do you think a skilled gunsmith could thin the stock out around the trigger area so I could use a new stock? You also mentioned that they changed the bolt configuration...does that mean if they shaved off some of the stock for the trigger that the bolt wouldn't fit right (or operate perfectly)?