Thread: can i swap a sporter barrel to a heavy barrel? axis 223.

Basic Member

can i swap a sporter barrel to a heavy barrel? axis 223.

ive had my axis 223 since they came out and now I see they sell a heavy barrel version of it. I don't want to sell my axis sporter and lose my butt on it but really want a heavy barrel. can I get a heavy barrel and swap them out?

Yep. Axises use a standard, small-shank barrel. If you have the tools, the swap is simple.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Yep. Axises use a standard, small-shank barrel. If you have the tools, the swap is simple.
    what tools will I need? and would it just be worth selling the sporter and use that money towards the heavy barrel model for $319?

Gohring3006
    Quote Originally Posted by ohihunter2014 View Post
    what tools will I need? and would it just be worth selling the sporter and use that money towards the heavy barrel model for $319?
    If you are using the sporter stock then I would sell the rifle and use the money for a heavy barrel. The barrel channel would have to be opened up to accept the heavy barrel. If you swapped the barrel and ordered a Boyds stock already opened up for the heavy barrel then your fine.

It depends on a few, compound factors.
    • If you don't plan on tinkering with any more Savages AND are content with Savage factory barrels AND/OR have neither the time, skill, or workspace to complete the project, then a new rifle would be the ticket.
    • If you have designs for building more than one rifle OR want a more premium aftermarket barrel AND/OR do not want to have a gunsmith do the work AND are on board with getting a new stock or modifying the old one AND have the time, skill, and workspace to complete the project, then the tools could be the better choice.

The only tool that is a definite must is the barrel nut wrench. You'll also need something to hold either the receiver or the barrel. Typically this takes the form of either a receiver wrench or a barrel vise. There are some examples of homebrew barrel vises you can find, but that's a whole separate choice algorithm! Third, you'll need something to set headspace, the best choice in my opinion is a headspace gauge, but people have used unfired shell cases and some amount of voodoo. I use a GO gauge and put a piece of tape on the end to use it as a NO-GO gauge. Then there are support tools like a breaker bar, mallet, torque wrench, and brushes to get rid of the tiny steel balls on the barrel threads...stuff you may have anyway that will make the project easier and more professional.

Keep in mind the tools are tangible assets and can also be resold to recuperate some of the funds if you choose not to hold onto them.