Thread: Thinking of using a Axis for a donor action

Team Savage

Thinking of using a Axis for a donor action

Been looking for another donor action and find that the old savage and stevens action are harder to come by.So I have been looking towards a Axis receiver .My main concern is there trigger and recoil lug setup.After looking up things here I haven't seen much on the Sharp Shooter Trigger .Has anyone adapted one to a Axis or isn't that possible?
    By the way all my Savage's have Boyd stocks definitely the way to go,the last one has a Thumbhole stock.
    Also think of looking for a 260 rem factory take off to rechamber to 6.5x284 for a walk around hunting rifle.
    Getting to many projects but what the hey!

Team Savage
    The recoil lug is different and in the stock. You can have SSS turn the action so it uses a regular recoil lug.
    I think there are a couple of triggers made for it but dont know anything about them.

I dont like the floppy safety setup, IE I like the model 10 tang better.

Team Savage
    I have a well equipped shop with lathe and small mill so I like to build my own firearms, that's all part of the fun. I learned long ago the value of picking other people's brain.Since I have never had a Axis apart I'm look for ideas and opinions on what has worked for others.Can't believe I hadn't found this site before.
    I still have 2 Japanese 99 Arisaka actions for builds, the metric threads add a whole new twist to rebarreling but have been keeping my eye open for another Savage action too.I of course prefer the Savage actions but have learned a lot from the Arisaka's.
    So it looks like I will have to eventually give the Axis a try but still wish I could find more older Savage or Stevens actions.

Team Savage
    I have an axis action I am turn into a 223 target rifle. Almost finished.
    For now its going into a modified BSA stock and I am keeping the factory recoil lug.

If that does not work out I will change it into a 6.5 creedmor hunting rifle and use a model 10 action for my target rifle.

The part that I dont care for is the Safety and trigger assembly is held in by action screw.

Yes I have been bit by the Mauser bug and built/modified several. 8x57, 9.3x62 and a 6.5x55.
    Also set up a K31.
    Last edited by tammons; 04-18-2015 at 08:50 PM.

Basic Member
    Sharp Shooter Supply triggers do not work with the Axis. Their Competition trigger is a great trigger, though.

Rifle Basix Sav-1 and TImney are the only aftermarket triggers I am aware of for the Axis.

Basic Member
    The Axis models have limited aftermarket support not nearly what the 110 Series has, however their is still a lot you can do.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Team Savage
    Thanks for the reply's and the info.So by turning down or shortening the action you can use 110 recoil lug.Is the Axis receiver's threaded area longer than a110 ? You will still have enough support for the barrel and chamber?

Team Savage
    From what I understand the cutout recess for the axis lug is in the same position as the factory 10 entire face would be.
    That said I dont know much about them so ask SSS, but part of his the axis SSS T+T is to cut it down so it will take a standard recoil lug.
    Supposedly when done it will still drop into an axis stock.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...e-rifle-review

Team Savage
    Thanks Everyone.
    This is a great place.
    tammons thanks for the link ,good view of the recoil set up.

Basic Member
    this article on the homepage might interest you as well, it explains about the recoil lug on the axis.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Trigger

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!