Thread: What scopes to use ?

What scopes to use ?

I have bought two new rifles a model 10 precision in 223 and a predator in 6.5 creedmoor . What scopes do you all recamend ? I might regret ever asking but what would you use ?

Team Savage
    For what ? game, target, distance, illuminated or not etc ?

Team Savage
    You need to use the one I have FS on this fourm
    ITs a great deal

LongRange
    The best glass you can afford...no matter what your using it for.

You could get 2 vortex vipers for less than 800.00.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by longrange View Post
    the best glass you can afford...no matter what your using it for.
    ^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rob44
    I'm a big fan of moderately priced Nikons

I agree with LongRange, the problem is higher priced scopes don't mean that the quality is much better; in any sense of linear fashion.
    Whatever you do, have your reticle match your turret adjustments(moa-moa, or Mil-mil). Personally I like my adjustments to ALWAYS be correct, regardless of magnification, so I use First Focal Plane scopes.

Dollar for dollar, the Primary Arms 4-14X FFP Mil/Mil scope is a steal. with multiple shooters going just short of a mile, the PA flat em-bare-assed the SWFA 3-15X.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    I agree with LongRange, the problem is higher priced scopes don't mean that the quality is much better; in any sense of linear fashion.
    Whatever you do, have your reticle match your turret adjustments(moa-moa, or Mil-mil). Personally I like my adjustments to ALWAYS be correct, regardless of magnification, so I use First Focal Plane scopes.

Dollar for dollar, the Primary Arms 4-14X FFP Mil/Mil scope is a steal. with multiple shooters going just short of a mile, the PA flat em-bare-assed the SWFA 3-15X.
    Please heed this gentleman's advice... The PA 4-14x Mildot Front focal plain is the best scope for the money. .1 mil adjustments are on the money and it is a really solid scope...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    Please heed this gentleman's advice... The PA 4-14x Mildot Front focal plain is the best scope for the money. .1 mil adjustments are on the money and it is a really solid scope...
    Use whatever scope you like and prefer.
    But the fact is it dosent make a hill of beans difference to a shooter who knows his equiptment and how to use it.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Use whatever scope you like and prefer.
    But the fact is it dosent make a hill of beans difference to a shooter who knows his equiptment and how to use it.
    AMEN.
    and.............Keep in mind: "best for the money" is not best in any other catagory.

I have never felt inadequate with my mildot reticle - MOA turret rear focal plane variables. FFP's shine when you plan on using the reticle to determine range, I use a rangefinder for that so having an FFP scope isn't all that important to me.

I have to agree with both longrange and yobuck, get as much scope as you can afford, and get it the way you prefer. And then get out there and learn how to use it, whatever it may be.

Me, I'm a fan of Nikon, specifically Monarchs, but I have a few friends using Vortex Vipers and must admit that they are also nice.

Huntin1

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    AMEN.
    and.............Keep in mind: "best for the money" is not best in any other catagory.
    This is true, so I'll offer some elaboration for the OP, from my scopes.

Weaver tactical(#800363) retails about $800. This scope has the glass quality of 98% of anything costing $1,000 or somewhat more. This scope is on Painless, I shoot to a mile with it rather regularly. Is one of my benchmarks to judge other scopes with.

SWFA 5-20 - retails around $1,200. Optically isn't really much better than the Weaver, certainly not by the difference in price. Color is a bit more true.

SWFA 3-15 - retails at about $750. This scope looks fantastic when looking through your neighbors window hoping to see his ole Lady changing, but that's it. Take it out in the middle of the day in summer and try target acquisition at 1,200 yards; you'll see what a train wreck it is. It's turrets adjust like the old fixed 10X as well.

PA 4-14 ffp - Retail is $229. We actually did a shooting day where multiple folks could shoot at the above mentioned 1,200 yards. Optically this scope flat embarrassed the SWFA 3-15. The SWFA couldn't distinguish one of the targets, it just disappeared. The other was impossible to mil, and really you would mistake it for veg if you didn't know what it was. The PA however easily resolved on both. Honestly this scope was very close to the optics of the Weaver. The PA also comes with as much adjustment range as the Night force BEAST line of scopes. IIRC 33 mil, mine tests at 34.

So again, buy the best quality you can; NOT just the highest price paid. Otherwise you can spend $750 for something that isn't worth the price of a VXI, or you can spend $230 on what is closer than most shooters could discern, to a $1,200 scope.

Cheers and best wishes on whatever you decide to do.
    Last edited by darkker; 04-24-2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling

lrshooting
    Well, I dont see what you are using it for, but I like my Viper PST FFP 4-16x50. Now I can give you pointers on why I bought it though:
    1) If you going to hunt in anything that isn't really really well lit up, you need illumination on FFP reticles many times depending on your eyesight because they can be hard to pick out against a coyote in the dusk.
    2) FFP to minimize time spent calculating hold with a variable power scope.
    3) Uncapped turrets...this is controversial depending on use. I want uncapped on both windage and elevation. Vortex has another scope that doesn't have illumination but has capped turrets and I really just dont need caps if the turrets are snug. Just something for me to loose and have to take off. Id want them in heavy brush or rough terrain that I might bump the scope alot however.

Now I realize I only spent 900$ on a scope so maybe thats way under your price range, but ive never spent over 130$ on a scope before so it was a big jump for me.

That being said, ive shot the same size groups with a 70$ scope as my 900$ scope so it really doesn't matter as yobuck said. The high end scopes just make it easier to see in low light, have at least decent turret tracking and adjustment, usually more clear, and most of the time tougher (also heavier typically). Sometimes you get into electronics, but I dont consider that the actual scope.

Ive always heard spend as much on the scope as the entire gun costs, but I think thats too open ended. Id pick what suits your needs and wants that has decent glass and tracking above all else. I think some people spend money on NF and S & B just to fit in with their high end buddies at the range. I just cant see spending that much money on a scope thats not going to help anything but ego (not always the case, some people really do benefit from them) when I could spend that couple thousand on reloading supplies, another gun, etc. Heck, I see people around here spending 4-5 K on a custom rifle and high end scope, but dont know how to shoot them and still miss or group terribly.

I figure if Carlos Hathcock can do it over and over and over, with a hunting rifle or machine gun and a scope mounted to it, I can do it with a reasonably cheap gun. Theres other things more important to buy that are more practical. Of course when Im old and retired, ill happily splurge on expensive guns just because I can and they are ridiculously cool, and to make the kids mad watching their inheritance shooting away.

Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    Of course when Im old and retired, ill happily splurge on expensive guns just because I can and they are ridiculously cool, and to make the kids mad watching their inheritance shooting away.

lrshooting
    ^^^ Cool dude right there...he knows what im talking about :)

Basic Member
    I have he PA on my model 10P .308. ($500 rifle + $230 scope). That outfit is just as clear and shoots just as well as my SIG SSG3000 .308 w/ Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 ($1400 rifle + $1200 scope). OP, I would personally put the PA on the model 10 .223 because it is clear, maintains solid zero, and inexpensive. There is no need to put a $1k scope on a $500 rifle IMHO. You can save that extra money for another project, better rings, or even an upgraded stock. I also have a Leopold Mark IV 4-16x40, had a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 and had the Nikon ProStaff 3-12x40 mil dot. I've been most impressed with the PA with its clarity, adjustments and overall value. From $230, $300, $350, $850, to $1200 scopes I've shot; I would put the PA on the Model 10. Not sure about the creedmoor.
    Russ