Thread: Tools required....

Basic Member

Tools required....

I'm wanting to switch out a barrel (my first time)
    I know I need a wrench for the barrel nut, but after that I'm not sure whether I need an action wrench or a barrel wrench or both.

Basic Member
    My first was accomplished with a home made barrel vise (oak) and a barrel wrench. The second one I was not so lucky. My home made vise could not restrain the barrel, but I'm sure a quality barrel vise would work just fine.

I prefer the action wrench for two reasons.
    1) it works on a Remington 700 action as well.
    2) it doesn't matter what diameter the barrel is and works with both large and small shank barrels.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    Both, will save a lot headackes

I've done all my barrel changes with an action wrench. The only problem I had was remembering to loosen it up before unscrewing the barrel!

Basic Member
    Thanks y'all.
    Also, do I have to strip the bolt to set my headspace, or can I do it intact?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtattoo View Post
    Thanks y'all.
    Also, do I have to strip the bolt to set my headspace, or can I do it intact?
    I do'm intact but I suggest a first timer strip the bolt or at the minimum remove the ejector-extractor to get the "feel" of it. When closing the bolt on the Go it should drop and lock to battery. On a No GO or shimmed Go it should start to or partially drop then stop like it hit a rock. The bolt should NEVER be forced closed or try to be forced closed on a gauge.

Here is they're proper use. Skip ahead to 1.40.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICBv-0U87Y

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 04-20-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: forgoted sump'm
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

lrshooting
    Well, unless your barrel is wedged in your receiver, you shouldn't need the barrel wrench. Not with savage anyways. Im planning on a couple of wooden Oak blocks with a recessed area for the recoil lug to give me a better mechanical means of keeping the receiver from turning. After that, just loosening the nut and spinning out the barrel should be all thats required. Got your go gauges? You can do it with just Go gauge, but no-go gauges make sure you didn't mess up somewhere and have the barrel back out increasing headspace.

BarrelNuts
    Saw on a few videos where folks were using a piece of tape on the back of their go gauge to add the extra .00-whatever length to the gauge instead of buying a no-go gauge. What I've done that works for me is having a hole drilled into my workbench that the handle on my action wrench slides into snugly. After tightening the wrench down I slide it into the hold and it acts like a barrel vise just from the other side. For putting the barrel on I just back the screw out of the action wrench to allow the bolt to move in the action and proceed.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelNuts View Post
    Saw on a few videos where folks were using a piece of tape on the back of their go gauge to add the extra .00-whatever length to the gauge instead of buying a no-go gauge. What I've done that works for me is having a hole drilled into my workbench that the handle on my action wrench slides into snugly. After tightening the wrench down I slide it into the hold and it acts like a barrel vise just from the other side. For putting the barrel on I just back the screw out of the action wrench to allow the bolt to move in the action and proceed.
    Ive heard of the tape, I just dont trust myself more than anything. Id measure thickness and all that, but Id still be worried I might have something wrong. Depends on your experience level I suppose. Mine is very low...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    Ive heard of the tape, I just dont trust myself more than anything. Id measure thickness and all that, but Id still be worried I might have something wrong. Depends on your experience level I suppose. Mine is very low...
    Don't worry about it. If the bolt closes on the go gage easily, and only closes 1/2 way with a piece of tape on it, you can't go wrong. Just make sure the tape is not doubled-up or wrapped over the edges. It will make more sense to you after you do it. The only reason I would bother with a no-go is if I was doing a whole lot of barrel installations and didn't want to "fuss" with the tape. Also, if a cartridge extracts properly when you are done, it's just more confirmation that all is okay.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Don't worry about it. If the bolt closes on the go gage easily, and only closes 1/2 way with a piece of tape on it, you can't go wrong. Just make sure the tape is not doubled-up or wrapped over the edges. It will make more sense to you after you do it. The only reason I would bother with a no-go is if I was doing a whole lot of barrel installations and didn't want to "fuss" with the tape. Also, if a cartridge extracts properly when you are done, it's just more confirmation that all is okay.
    I see...well that was a waste of 30$. Oh well I guess. Good thing here is we kind of tool share in the community with smaller equipment like the torque wrenches, gauges, scope ring lapping tools, etc. So im sure they will get used at some point.Thanks btw.

BarrelNuts
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    I see...well that was a waste of 30$. Oh well I guess. Good thing here is we kind of tool share in the community with smaller equipment like the torque wrenches, gauges, scope ring lapping tools, etc. So im sure they will get used at some point.Thanks btw.
    Like guns, one can never have too many tools... if you use it, its worth it. Every time I buy a new tool/gauge/etc I think of the scene from Grand Torino where Clint Eastwood explains to the kid that his garage full of tools was acquired over an entire lifetime... I may only need a particular tool or jig once; but someone else may need it. Not to mention the satisfaction from knowing whenever someone needs something done and are in a bind that you just happen to have the right tool to help them out.