Thread: 111 or 116

Basic Member

111 or 116

My dealer finally received the Model 111 he ordered for me in 25-06. He also ordered a model 116 in 25-06 because he knew I liked the stainless steel barrels. My dilemma now is choosing between the two. I plan to put it in a boyd's stock but the difference besides barrel is the rate of twist. The 111 is 10 and the 116 is 12. That may be a potential problem but I'm not sure. I mostly plan to deer hunt with this rifle. What do you guys think?

Basic Member
    The 1-10 twist will shoot heavier (longer) bullets, if that's important to you. I'm sure you know about the advantages of stainless steel.

If it were me I would take the stainless for a host of pluses. So you have to shoot lighter bullets or flat base bullets, it still should be a hoot to fire it. Then down the line , spin off the barrel and put a criterion or shilen etc for a few hundred bucks and you will get more enjoyment out of it than a barrel of monkeys. If you would ever sell it the stainless guns in my mind are very desirable. Go 116 and don't look back.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

For what it's worth, I'm looking for my first Savage, I KNOW I will be "playing" with it, so I'm looking for a 116 with a .473 bolt for starters, counting on changing to mag bolt face after I shoot out a 6.5-284