Thread: 200 yard range report

SniperGoat

200 yard range report

Savage 10FP .308 caliber wth factory Federal GMM 168gr Sierra Match King. Out of a five shot group I had one flier that was totally my fault. Bipod in front...and sandbag, with my left hand, in rear for elevation.

Very nice! Love my .308 FP too.

Basic Member
    Good shooting! Hate those flyers.

Basic Member
    Nice work!

Gotta love he 308. I recently built a 308 sporter using a factory 22" barrel. I've been testing my 150 grain Hornady handloads at 200 yards firing three round groups. Using 40.4 grains of H4895, Norma brass and Win primers my best groups to date are 1.098 and .918". I built my 308 on a long action and am seating my bullets .010" OTL.

Nice! What optics?

SniperGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Nice! What optics?
    Vortex Viper PST. First focal pane...6-24x50 mil/mil

Just can't beat that factory ammo. I was given a box years back and the results were the same as yours. If I had deep pockets, I'd purchase 1k worth of this stuff and shoot away. I wouldn't have to reload but then again what's the fun in that.

I rarely even shoot 100 yds anymore. 200 is more fun and really is more of a challenge to get everything right. It's really satisfying when you can consistently shoot under 1" at 200 with a gun and ammo you built yourself. I don't have anywhere to target shoot farther but have some places to hunt groundhogs at 350 plus.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

I'm spoiled, I can shoot from 100 out to just under 1 mile. According to your patterns, your set to send them out......way out,and I know you,ll be happy with the results. Those 168,s fly just fine. I've never had stability issues with the 168, out to 1k. If I'm not mistaken those 168 are flying 2650 to 2700?.....least that's what I was getting at my elevation.

SniperGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    I'm spoiled, I can shoot from 100 out to just under 1 mile. According to your patterns, your set to send them out......way out,and I know you,ll be happy with the results. Those 168,s fly just fine. I've never had stability issues with the 168, out to 1k. If I'm not mistaken those 168 are flying 2650 to 2700?.....least that's what I was getting at my elevation.
    Thanks. 2650fps is what the muzzle velocity is supposed to be.. I had wanted to try some 175s, but at this point I see no need to change ammo and the 168s are easier to find. I'm very much looking forward to stretching that rifles legs a little more.

What elevation are you at?.I've never been able to prove the speed posted on factory ammo. You'll more than likely have to chronograph those rounds to get your speeds for ballistic calculations . The further out you go the more precise you're input for ballistic calculations will be. Those patterns your getting are the real deal. Curious, what's the price range of a box of 20 of those 168,s
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 04-26-2015 at 09:33 PM.

SniperGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    What elevation are you at?.I've never been able to prove the speed posted on factory ammo. You'll more than likely have to chronograph those rounds to get your speeds for ballistic calculations . The further out you go the more precise you're input for ballistic calculations will be. Those patterns your getting are the real deal. Curious, what's the price range of a box of 20 of those 168,s
    I'm at sea level here in the Houston area. The 168's I usually buy online but recently a local academy had several boxes in stock for about $25 each. Your right about the chrono...I need to do that to be sure. Currently I'm plugging the factory info into a ballistics app on my iPhone.

Interesting. I'm curious as to what's speeds you,ll get at sea level. I'm anywhere from 3800 to 4200ft . Again, I consider myself lucky. Wide open distance, s and I can toss rounds out at higher speeds if I want but usually don't. Only downside?...the freken wind!

BarrelNuts
    great shooting! I'm looking at picking up a PST myself... any regrets on yours?

Good shooting!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

SniperGoat
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelNuts View Post
    great shooting! I'm looking at picking up a PST myself... any regrets on yours?
    Love it! I think its a great value. Hopefully it'll hold up well in the long run.

BarrelNuts
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperGoat View Post
    Love it! I think its a great value. Hopefully it'll hold up well in the long run.
    Thanks... looks like its doing its job well for you from what I can see on that target!