Was window shopping in a LGS here and I came across a Savage Model 14/114 in .243 that had three things I always wanted in a rifle - a left-hand bolt action, a walnut stock and .243 caliber. Always liked the classic look. The wood was surprisingly pretty, the checkering was crisp for what it is, and the action was smooth and it fit me so . . . I let the salesperson 'talk' me into putting it on layaway. I only wish it was one of the rifles offered in the $100 off sale but at $749, it's not unbearably expensive for me.

I would have liked a heavy barrel but again, being a southpaw has its limitations and I figured having this was better than not having it. So, I'll shoot it til the barrel is done and think about a rebuild after I have some time with it as is. The accutrigger is nice so I plan on enjoying this new addition and hopefully get to try it out on varmints as well as at the range. More than likely it will be sporting Vortex glass in the 12X range; I have a couple of these scopes and they are an awesome value for the money.

This is my first 110 series rifle, although I have an R93/17GVL and have owned Savage rimfires and shotguns in the past. Are there any things, tips, opinions any of you can express as to this particular model has to offer. Thanks in advance.

bobbyj