Thread: New Savage owner

garyb44

New Savage owner

I was lucky enough to get one of the Cabelas Savage 10T rifles on sale, plus the $100 rebate Savage has right now. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. I took it to the range this past weekend and zeroed it at 100 yards. Like you've all probably heard before, this thing is dead nuts accurate. I had a Thompson Center Icon in .30TC and that rifle also has the 5R rifling. It too was dead nuts accurate, but with the clear advantage of ammo availability in the .308 caliber, I'm really happy I went with this. I just ordered one of the Weaver 3-10x40 Tactical mil/mil scopes from Midway. They are on sale now for $299 and if what I read about them is true, the Savage 10T/Weaver scope combination should work out pretty nicely.

DLJ6
    Gary, thats good to hear. I picked up one too. I have not scoped mine yet but am leaning towards a Weaver as well. Trying to find Seekins Prec. low rings in stock somewhere now. Let us know what ammo yours likes. I plan to try some Alliant AR-Comp under 155 Bergers and maybe some Scenars but have a few boxes of SSA factory ammo to start with.

Mach2
    Most of the new Savage rifles ive read about in here seem to be tactical or police models. Must be a fad due to the Islamic conflicts and military movies.
    Not many classic style rifles being reported purchased in here.

garyb44
    Quote Originally Posted by DLJ6 View Post
    Gary, thats good to hear. I picked up one too. I have not scoped mine yet but am leaning towards a Weaver as well. Trying to find Seekins Prec. low rings in stock somewhere now. Let us know what ammo yours likes. I plan to try some Alliant AR-Comp under 155 Bergers and maybe some Scenars but have a few boxes of SSA factory ammo to start with.
    I used the Hornady 155gr ammo. I forgot the entire designation but it shot very accurately. Sort of green looking brass. No fliers. I'll try some different loads to find the cheapest and at the same time most consistent. I used Talley medium rings for this. I just like the Talley rings and have had success with them in the past. You're going to like the way it shoots.

garyb44
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Most of the new Savage rifles ive read about in here seem to be tactical or police models. Must be a fad due to the Islamic conflicts and military movies.
    Not many classic style rifles being reported purchased in here.
    I bought it because it has all the features I want. Tactical seems to be a marketing thing. I expect to use this as an all-purpose rifle. The heavy barrel makes it more difficult to carry around for sure, but I'll take that tradeoff for accuracy.

Mach2
    http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun...-tactical-bolt

Congrats on your new Savage. Sounds like it can be a good hunting gun and range gun. Sporter barrels make lousy range guns because the heat really cooks a thin barrel after even 5 or 6 shots. The bull barrel will let you pull off a lot more rounds at the range. Good for perfecting aim.
    My sporter Savages are red hot after 7 or 8 shots. You can damage a sporter barrel shooting a dozen rounds quick succession. Hard to perfect your aiming technique if you can't pull off 20 or more rounds. Centerfire rounds are a blow torch.