Thread: H series long action question

Basic Member

H series long action question

I picked up a H series long action in 7mm mag. I am wanting to build a hunting rifle and wondered if there any disadvantages to building on that old of an action? It seems to me back in the day folks complained about savages and I wondered if that had anything to do with the old actions. I am putting it in a manners stock so don't want to put a iffy action in a sweet stock. My other builds have all been on J series actions and shoot lights out. Let me know guys thanks
    Last edited by colt56; 04-13-2015 at 07:56 PM.

If you have used them before whether short or long it should make no difference.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Sorry I meant my other builds are on J series actions

Quote Originally Posted by colt56 View Post
    It seems to me back in the day folks complained about savages and I wondered if that had anything to do with the old actions.
    No, the reason we have always complained, is because of their abysmal QC. Wasn't a function of A series of actions, simply that you never knew if you were getting a decent thing, or a hang-over-monday assembled item. Seems that no two are ever put together quite the same. Sometimes you get a shooter, which for the money compared to others of the same time period, was a STEAL; and why people "know" Savages shoot. Other times you get a cobbled together series of $200 parts.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    So would you say current qc is better and picking up a newer series of action is the safer route or is it just a crap shoot regardless of the action series?

No. Savage has always been consistent in that QC is STILL a train wreck. The difference has recently been that the good is better than before. However they had been losing there proverbial shorts; prior to selling to defense contractor ATK.
    Whether or not ATK cares about anything outside of their pursuit of Gub'ment contracts, remains to be seen.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.