Thread: 35 Whelen Project: Will a 110 Barrel fit a Model 111

hycountry

35 Whelen Project: Will a 110 Barrel fit a Model 111

I want to change the barrel on a 111. Converting to 35 Whelen (from 30 '06). I'm assuming (but not sure ??? ) the Adams and Bennett 110 barrel is an exact fit. Can anybody confirm?
    A little background (if you're curious). I already have an 03 Springfield and got the model 111 for the accu-trigger. Decided to go to 35 Whelen for more 'knock-down' power with a 250 gr. Any thoughts on this project, the 35 Whelen or other barrels to consider will be appreciated.
    Also, I don't plan on doing this project myself...will use a gunsmith.

Re: New Barrel for Model 111

Since the parent case is the 30-06 your current bolt face will be correct. The 35 Whelen is a very efficient cartridge. Don't think there is anything in North America that it can't handle. Good Luck with the build.

Re: 35 Whelen Project: Will a 110 Barrel fit a Model 111

Welcome to the forum!

The barrel should fit fine, the A&B is not a top of the line barrel but the ones I have shot gave decent accuracy, plenty good for hunting. The .35 Whelen is a fine round, a couple of others in the same ballpark are the .338/06 and the 9.3X62. No need to pay a gunsmith to swap barrels for you, it's easy, really easy. You don't have a location in your profile but if you are close to someone who has the tools and has done it before they would probably be glad to help you. If you get stuck you have a great resource here and can get answers quick!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

hycountry

Thanks for the input Bob. I considered the 338 '06 but decided on the 35 Whelen due to the availability of ammo. If and when I can retire , reloading will be in the future. For now, off-the-shelf will have to do.

Also, thanks for pointing out the lack of profile info...I have updated a few fields, including location.

From what I've read, the head spacing is the critical part of changing barrels. That's why I thought I should use a gunsmith. If it is as easy as you say maybe it wont break the bank. If I made the change that first shot would be pulled with a long string ;D.

Team Savage

not to worry what you pay a gunsmith you can buy the tools an have fun
    the cal. changes can be endless
    drybean

Team Savage

Barrel change is easy if you have even a nickles worth of mechanical ability.
    Takes about 5 minutes

The A+B barrels screw right on. Good value although that particular barrel is a magnum contour and a bit heavy.
    Nice hunting barrel though.

hycountry

Very Interesting...so barrels are like Plug n' Play?

tammons, if the 35 whelen is a magnum barrel do you think stock modification would be requirred?

This package (from Cabelas) came with a laminated stock. FYI, I replaced the package scope with a Nikon Monarch.

I will guess your package has a sporter barrel contour and the Whelen is a magnum contour so the stock's barrel channel will need to be opened up. Not a big deal just some sanding using a 1 inch dowel and some patience.
    As far as the barrel swap a little more than plug & play but not much about $100 worth of tools for everything you would need( will do all future changes) and you would be ready to start, after you use the search function and read all you can on changing the barrel and how to head space.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage

I have a chopped and rechambered magnum contour barrel, same contour as yours that I sometimes use with a tupperware stock, and it fit but it was very tight.
    You will probably have to open your stock up a bit. Tupperware not really recommended for thumper recoil though, because its not a great fit, but it is light. I have a durmax that fits a lot better and the increased comfort level is noticeable.

Savage is not quite as plug and play as a desert tactical rifle, but its versatile and they are accurate and easy to work on.

Cant think of many other rifles that for about $1000-1200 total, you can have a complete switch barrel rifle with 3-4 barrels from 223 to 458 win mag and shoot anything from Prairie dogs to Rhinos.