Thread: Accustock filler a joke...

curlymaple42

Accustock filler a joke...

I took my M10 stock apart yesterday to paint it and when I took the butt pad off I looked inside and pulled out a block of cheap foam. I was surprised. Anyways, before I painted the stock I filled it with expanding foam insulation instead. Seemed to be a better option. I was glad to see that the used rifle I got had the aluminum bedding blocks!

What like a piece of styrofoam?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

nwkman
    Mine had saw dust in it. I sprayed in expanding foam

curlymaple42
    Yes, like a 1" x 3" x 5" or so piece of white breakable foam!

jammer300
    same thing here. I pulled my butt pad off of my 111 trophy hunter the other day just to look out of curiosity and found the same cheap block of foam. wonder what it is for? Take the hollow sound out of the stock? It surely cant be there to add strength. I never thought about adding expanding foam into the stock.

D.ID
    I'm curious...........whats the general concern? Why bother filling it with spray foam?

curlymaple42
    I guess I did it because you can't access the space for storage, so it should be filled with something. It might even deaden any sounds as well. It sounded hollow and noisy, now not as much. Hollow sounds cheap. Any other reasons out there? Oh wait, OCD! Lol!

curlymaple42
    Oh, thank you for moving this thread...

BarrelNuts
    I'm just curious how you got the butt pad off... been trying to figure that one out for a while; maybe I'm just afraid of pulling too much and messing up the stock?

How to remove the recoil pad

I have a model 111 Trophy Hunter XP also. (Does not have the accu-stock, but does have the accu-trigger.)
    It has a big squashy recoil pad - note the two small holes in the recoil pad.
    Force a phillips screwdriver in and you will feel the head of the screws. Just remove both and the pad will come off.

Yes, I removed the pad and saw the foam block - I was thinking about filling the cavity in with expanding foam.

also wondering has anyone tried to shorten this stock?
    thanks
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by charleslabounty View Post
    I have a model 111 Trophy Hunter XP also. (Does not have the accu-stock, but does have the accu-trigger.)
    Force a phillips screwdriver in and you will feel the head of the screws. Just remove both and the pad will come off.

Yes, I removed the pad and saw the foam block - I was thinking about filling the cavity in with expanding foam.

thanks
    Charlie
    To shorten the hollow stock, a wood block would need to be fitted/epoxied into the recess after the cut so the recoil pad screws have something to bite into.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    What like a piece of styrofoam?
    just like these. i pulled several from builds and filled the stock with the spray foam also, makes them sound more dense.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    I just pulled the pad off my Choate....

Totally hollow.

So.... Now it's got 3 pounds of lead dampened with dry rice in there. That should help tame that pesky recoil!
    Also, it's actually balanced nicely rather that being muzzle heavy.
    Now it's just, well, Heavy! :D

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtattoo View Post
    I just pulled the pad off my Choate....

Totally hollow.

So.... Now it's got 3 pounds of lead dampened with dry rice in there. That should help tame that pesky recoil!
    Also, it's actually balanced nicely rather that being muzzle heavy.
    Now it's just, well, Heavy! :D
    LOL, one day i loaded up my stock with #4 shot and 2 weeks later pull it all out. somehow they got into the grip area and i could hear them rattling around whenever i was transporting the gun from my vehicle to the table and back. it was driving me crazy!
    AND it was definitely heavier but that doesn't bother me, mostly shooting target from a bench.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

curlymaple42
    Yeh, I have that super squishy recoil pad on mine and do not like it. Way too sticky and flexible. Going to replace it with something a touch firmer asap.

Tom Thomson
    charleslabounty
    yes, I cut an inch and a quarter off my 110 stock. I needed to get closer to the scope. same foam in mine but I left it figuring that it wasn't doing any harm. I made a new butt plate out of 1/8 aluminum and secured it with 2 #6 flat head wood screws into the original stock; there is plenty of meat to hold them. now, since even I am not foolish enuf to pull the trigger on a 308 with a metal buttplate I got a sissy pad with some stuff called "Sorbothane". it really soaks up the recoil and it comes with differing pad thicknesses to adjust the pull.
    tommyt

rawbz36
    So you guys filled the complete stock with expanding foam? What kind? Just bought the 111 FCXP 7mm Mag and I am expecting some serious kick and I am sure it is either hollow or has that foam piece in there. good idea to fill with expanding foam? Thanks

bloodhawke83
    Quote Originally Posted by rawbz36 View Post
    So you guys filled the complete stock with expanding foam? What kind? Just bought the 111 FCXP 7mm Mag and I am expecting some serious kick and I am sure it is either hollow or has that foam piece in there. good idea to fill with expanding foam? Thanks
    Use closed cell so it doesn't pick up moisture.

Basic Member
    Expanding foam alone will do nothing to slow the recoil of your 7 Mag.

You could start with a Decelarater Slipon Pad, that will help a lot.

bloodhawke83
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Expanding foam alone will do nothing to slow the recoil of your 7 Mag.

You could start with a Decelarater Slipon Pad, that will help a lot.
    Was just think of filling the void space. On the other hand, it would be a good spot to store emergency supplies like a small med kit and extra ammo. I'm gonna do that with my hunting gun.

CaptREDD
    In a 110 stock that was on an old 30-06, one of the black "tupperware" plastic stocks...I stored almost 2 pounds of pinto beans inna plastic bag...and in a small zip-lok
    some water purification tablets...never needed the emergency food...but sure helped the recoil...

REDD

BarrelNuts
    Quote Originally Posted by charleslabounty View Post

thanks
    Charlie
    Thanks for the information on how to get the recoil pad off. Pulled mine and sure enough, looks like someone took a chunk out of a cooler and stuffed in there. Filled mine with some expanding foam and a little lead shot; basically poured a little bit in as I added foam, about 3/4lbs. Its not perfectly evenly distributed but it feels pretty well balanced and has more of a solid sound to it now. Funny that I actually had another stock (M10) that I pulled the squishy pad off of and put on my 111 in .25-06; the pad that was on it was rather firm-ish and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter. Figured I'd give it a try since the mod. 10 stock was a left over from a donor rifle... feels better to me than the firmer one from a LOP standpoint.